Baseball vs. FIU

Freshman righthand pitcher Micah Dallas pitches the ball during the game against Florida International University at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at Dan Law Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Panthers, 9-6.

The No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team’s freshman RHP Micah Dallas was named the Big 12 Newcomer of the week on Monday.

This is Dallas’ first weekly award of his career, but the eighth for a Tech player this season, according to a Tech Athletics release. Dallas is the fourth newcomer to earn the weekly award as freshman Tanner O’Tremba garnished the award on Feb. 25, sophomore Dylan Neuse received the honor on March 11 and freshman Dru Baker was given the award on April 8.

In Dallas’ outing in the 14-inning game against Texas Christian University, he matched his career-high in strikeouts and innings pitched as he threw in seven scoreless innings and struck eight batters out, according to the release. While Dallas was on the mound, no Horned Frog made it past second base.

As the season has progressed, Dallas has earned the Friday night starting role at the mound as he was the series-opening starter in six of the last seven Big 12 series, according to the release. In the six games as the Friday starter, Tech earned a 4-2 record while Dallas posted a perfect 3-0 record at the mound as a starter. As the series-opening starter, Dallas earned a 4.24 ERA in 34 innings at the mound, while striking 35 batters out and walking only 15.

As the regular season has come to an end, Dallas earned a 4-0 record with 3.60 ERA, according to the release. Dallas also helped the Red Raider earn ranked wins against No. 22 Michigan, No. 18 Baylor and No. 16 Oklahoma State, as Tech went 6-2 with Dallas starting.

Dallas and the Red Raiders will continue their season with a game against Kansas State in the 2019 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark in Oklahoma City. The Red Raiders are the No. 1 seed as they face the No. 8 seeded Wildcats.