Texas Tech Basketball Senior Night vs. Texas

Sophomore guard Jarrett Culver smiles after a made shot during senior night against Texas at 8 p.m. Monday, March 4, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. This was the last home game for five seniors on the team: Norense Odiase, Brandone Francis, Andrew Sorrells, Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens.

Two members of the Texas Tech men’s basketball program received awards on Monday, March 18.

Sophomore guard Jarrett Culver has been named U.S. Basketball Writers Association 2018-2019 All-American second team and head coach Chris Beard has been named a Henry Iba Award finalist.

Culver is leading the team going into the NCAA tournament with 18.5 points, 6.3 rebounds and 3.7 assists, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The guard from Lubbock was also named Big 12 Player of the Year and is a John R. Wooden Award Finalist.

The sophomore scored a career-high 31 points against Iowa State to help the Red Raiders earn their first Big 12 title. Culver also reached 1,008 career points after scoring 26  in the quarterfinals contest against West Virginia, according to the release.

Along with being an Iba Award Finalist, Beard also was named Big 12 Coach of the Year, according to the release. He has led the Red Raiders to a 71-30 record over the past three years and has made three NCAA tournament appearances.

Tech will travel to Tulsa as the No. 3 seed in the West bracket of the NCAA tournament and will face Northern Kentucky on Friday, March 22.