Texas Tech Men's Basketball vs. Michigan State - Final Four

Jarrett Culver watches the game during Texas Tech's Final Four game against Michigan State on Saturday, April 6, 2019, in Minneapolis.

In a press conference on Thursday, April 18, in the United Supermarkets Arena, Texas Tech men's basketball sophomore star guard Jarrett Culver announced that he will pursue an NBA Career after declaring for the 2019 NBA Draft.

The 2019 NBA Draft will be held on June 20, 2019, in Brooklyn, New York. Culver is attempting to follow in the footsteps of Tony Battie, picked fifth overall in 1997, and Zhaire Smith, picked 16th overall in 2018. Battie and Smith are the only Red Raiders taken in the first round.

In his two seasons at Texas Tech, Culver proved to be a phenom as a freshman, before transition into a star role in his second season. Culver helped lead Tech to it's first Elite Eight appearance in 2018, then double-down and led Tech to the National Championship game in 2019. Despite an overtime loss to Virginia in the Champinship, Culver played a monumental role in taking Tech to it's first Final Four and National Championship game.

In his sophomore year, Culver averaged 18.2 points per game while hauling in 6.5 rebounds per game, with 3.7 assists per game and 1.4 steals per game to accompany his high-scoring output. Culver was named a consensus All-American in 2019, along with being named the Big 12 Player of the Year and made both the NCAA All-Tourney and All-Region teams for his performance in Tech's National Championship game run.