Tech Men's Basketball vs. TCU

Freshman Divine Oduduru and the Men's Track & Field Team show their "CORKY" shirts during their presentation of their Big 12 Indoor Championship on Saturday, March 3, 2018 at the United Supermarkets Arena. Texas Tech seniors secured a win against TCU 79-75 in their last game in Lubbock.

On Thursday, Oct. 25, the Texas Track and Field Coaches Association announced the late Corky Oglesby, former head coach of the Texas Tech Track & Field and Cross Country program, will be inducted into the Texas TFCA Hall of Fame Friday, Jan. 11, at the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine.

Oglesby helmed the Red Raiders from 1975 to 1995, accounting for the longest reign of a track coach in Tech history. After he stepped down from the head coach role, Oglesby remained very involved with the sport he coached for two decades of his life by serving as a meet official in various events around the country, according to Tech Athletics. Furthermore, Oglesby spent nearly 50 years associating himself with and servicing Tech Athletics.

Oglesby, who died of cancer on Nov. 19, 2017, picked up some respective accomplishments while at Tech. Oglesby coached 32 All-Americans, 11 Southwest Conference outdoor champions and seven indoor individual championship winners, according to Tech Athletics. In 2014, Oglesby was inducted into the Texas Tech Hall of Honor for his devotion to Tech Athletics.

Director of Track & Field and Cross Country Wes Kittley shared his thoughts on Oglesby’s recognition.

“He left such a legacy at Texas Tech, but his coaching made an impact on the whole state of Texas,” Kittley said according to Tech Athletics. “He always treated me with great respect. What a great honor for my good friend Corky.”