Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Freshman Guard Chrislyn Carr shoots a long three pointer against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

After receiving an invitation to participate in the 2019 USA Women’s U19 World Cup Team Trials, Texas Tech women’s basketball’s Big 12 Freshman of the Year Chrislyn Carr accepted the offer on Wednesday, according to a Tech Athletics news release.

“We are incredibly proud of Chrislyn for the opportunity to represent our country and our program on the grandest stage,” head coach Marlene Stollings said in the release. “She has worked diligently on the development of her skillset and to see her honored by USA Basketball is extraordinarily special. I know it would be a dream come true for her to compete for gold.”

Carr is the first Lady Raider to get invited to the U19 World Cup team trials in school history, according to the release. There are 30 athletes participating in the trials, and Carr is one of six Big 12 freshmen who were invited.

The trials will be from May 16-19 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, according to the release. After the trials, training camp will be from July 5-19, and the U19 World Cup will be played from July 20-28. 

If Carr makes the team, she will be representing the United States, as the team will be trained and supported by USA Basketball, according to the release. USA Basketball is the national governing body for basketball in the U.S. and they select the players on the team. 

Jeff Walz from Louisville is the head coach of the Pan American Games Team, with Natasha Adair of Delaware and Cori Close of UCLA assisting.