Soccer

Senior defender Brooke Denesik kicks during their game against Abilene Christian at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 26, at the John Walker Soccer Complex. Tech defeat Abilene, 1-0.

Texas Tech senior defender Brooke Denesik was selected to the Google Cloud Academic All-America First Team by the College Sports Information Directors of America. 

Denesik is the third Red Raiders to be listed as an Academic All-American since 2013, according to Tech Athletics. The senior defender is the fourth player in program history to receive the honor and the third to be named a first-teamer. 

“It’s no surprise,” assistant coach Gibbs Keeton said of Denesik’s selection, according to a Tech Athletics news release. “She showed so much improvement on the field over the course of her career, and that takes massive commitment. And we knew she was doing exactly the same in the classroom.” 

Denesik finished her senior year with a cumulative grade point average of 4.0 as an accounting major in the Rawls School of Business, according to Tech Athletics. She was named to the Academic All-District team in November for the second time in her career. Denesik was one of a program-record 16 Tech players to be listed to the Academic All-Big 12 team, and was only one of the five that had a perfect GPA, leading the conference. 

The senior defender started on a defense that led the Big 12 and was top-10 in the nation, according to Tech Athletics, claiming 14 total shutouts with a goals against average of .53. 

“This is a player that is committed to the team and committed to improving, and it just really shows that she is exceptional at everything she does – from soccer to the classroom and beyond,” Keeton said in the release. 

Off the field, Denesik was a part of the Talkington Leadership Academy, which helps teach leadership skills throughout Tech’s student-athletes, according to Tech Athletics. She is also involved in YoungLife and is a founder of CURE Tech, a group that helps raise the awareness of disabilities in third-world countries.