Iowa State VS. Texas Tech

Junior forward Brittany Brewer attacks the basket during the game against Iowa State at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders lost the game to the Cyclones with a scare of 64-62.

Texas Tech women’s basketball’s junior Brittany Brewer was invited to participate in the Pan American Games Team Trials in May by USA Basketball, according to a Tech Athletics news release. 

Sheryl Swoopes was the last Lady Raider to be invited to the Pan American Games Team Trials, as she was a part of the 1995 Pan American Games team, according to the release. Brewer is one of six players from the Big 12 and 36 total players to participate in the trials. 

“We are beyond thrilled that Brittany has been selected for the prestigious Pan Am trials,” head coach Marlene Stollings said, according to Tech Athletics. “She has worked incredibly hard and her game has evolved to an elite level.” 

Averaging 31 minutes per game, Brewer averaged 16.6 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game this season, according to a Tech Athletics news release. She was also named to the All-Big 12 Honorable Mention team. 

The trials will be hosted at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the 12 members of the Pan America Games Team will play in the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru, on Aug. 6-10, according to the release. USA Basketball will select, train and support the athletes as they represent the United States. 

“Brittany is one of the brightest minds and humble human beings I have coached,” Stollings said, according to Tech Athletics. “This is such an honor for Brittany and our program.” 

Suzy Merchant from Michigan State will be the head coach of the Pan American Games Team, according to the release. Merchant’s assistants include Felisha Legette-Jack from the University of Buffalo and Vic Schaefer from Mississippi State. 

Athletes have to be a citizen in the U.S. who are in college and have remaining collegiate eligibility to be able to participate.