Texas Tech Baseball vs. Wichita State Game 2

Redshirt Freshman RHP Clayton Beeter closes game two against Wichita State on March 9, 2019, at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders won against the Shockers 15-10.

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper (CBN) named Texas Tech’s freshman reliever Clayton Beeter a Freshman All-American on Wednesday.

Beeter’s representation as a Freshman All-American by CBN makes him the ninth Red Raider to be honored since 2013, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The honor also marks the fourth-straight year and the sixth time in seven seasons that Tech has had a player earn Freshman All-American honors.

With the honor head coach Tim Tadlock has coached Beeter along with Eric Gutierrez (2013), Jarrard Poteete (2013), Dylan Dusek (2014), Stephen Smith (2014), Steven Gingery (2016), Davis Martin (2017), Josh Jung (2017) and Gabe Holt (2018) to earn Freshman All-American accolades.

This season Beeter has pitched in 19 games while pitching 19.1 total innings, according to Tech Athletics. In his time at the mound, the freshman earned a 2.79 ERA while striking 38 batters out and only giving up six earned runs.

Beeter has been effective at the mound as a closer for the Red Raiders as posted a strikeout rate of almost two per inning, according to the release. The batting average put up against Beeter has been .164 as he has managed to only give up 11 hits this season. 

Earning Freshman All-American honors by CBN makes the first award Beeter has earned this season, according to the release. He is the second Red Raider to earn recognition form the publication as junior Josh Jung was named to the All-American Second Team last week.

At the end of the regular season, Beeter was named to the All-Big 12 Second Team and the Big 12 All-Freshman Team for his play at the mound this season, according to the release. During conference play, the freshman pitched in 6.2 innings and struck 16 batters out while posting a 2.70 ERA.

Beeter and the Red Raiders will continue their postseason run as they host the NCAA Super Regionals in Lubbock against No. 9 Oklahoma State. The first game of the best-of-three game series will start at 2 p.m. on Friday as it will be aired on ESPN 2 for viewers who cannot attend.