Texas Tech Basketball Senior Night vs. Texas

Head Coach Chris Beard gathers the team before they head to the locker room after their game against Texas at 8 p.m. Monday, March 4, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. This was the last home game for five seniors on the team; Norense Odiase, Brandone Francis, Andrew Sorrells, Matt Mooney, and Tariq Owens.

Texas Tech’s men’s basketball head coach Chris Beard has signed a $4.575 million annual contract extending to the 2024-25 season. 

The new contract will make Beard one of the top paid coaches in the nation, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The head coach led Tech to a historic season, earning spots in the Sweet 16, Elite Eight, Final Four and the National Championship. 

Beard’s personal accomplishments include being named Big 12 Coach of the Year and the Associated Press Coach of the Year, according to the release. 

Beard expressed his gratitude to many Tech Athletic officials, the president of the university and past and present players. He also said gratitude to the fans for their dedication and promised them the team is not done, according to the release. 

“Thank you to President (Lawrence) Schovanec, Kirby Hocutt, Tony Hernandez, Chancellor (Tedd) Mitchell and the Board of Regents for making this strong commitment to both me and our men's basketball program," Beard said, according to the release. "Thank you to our players and staff, both former and current, for your commitment to winning. Special thanks to our fans and our students for your incredible support and passion. Together we have accomplished some great things in the past three years but we are not satisfied and will continue working tirelessly to build one of the best college basketball programs in the nation.” 

Beard has a 76-31 overall record at Tech and a 14-4 record in Big 12 play, according to the release. In the four seasons as a Division I coach, Beard is 106-36, going 30-5 in Little Rock. 

The university has also seen a ticket rise thanks to Beard. Over 10,000 tickets were sold in 2017-18, according to the release. In the 2018-19 season, fans averaged 12,098 with four sellouts.