Texas Tech Basketball vs. Oklahoma

Head coach Chris Beard invites the fans to the court at the end of the game during the game against Oklahoma at 8 p.m, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. Texas Tech defeated Oklahoma with a packed home crowd and a final score of 66-59.

Texas Tech’s head coach Chris Beard has ventured into yet another uncharted territory for Tech — this time it's for himself. Tech’s head coach has earned the Associated Press Coach of the Year award, as announced by the Associated Press on Thursday, April 4.  

Beard earned 20 of the 64 votes from the same people who select the AP Top 25 teams, according to apnews.com. Houston’s head coach Kelvin Sampson was behind Beard, earning 13 of the 64 votes. These two coaches were the only two to get over 10 votes.

Beard has led the Red Raiders to their first Final Four in program history and a 30-win season. Redshirt senior guard Brandone Francis said Beard is a hard worker and leading man. Beard has worked his way up from the bottom and is now at the top, he said, according to apnews.com.

“He’s a great motivator man, that’s what he does,” Francis said, according to apnews.com. “He started down below, junior college and Division II and schools that I don’t really even know the name of. He’s a grinder. He works extremely hard. He has the right people around him.”