Texas Tech Men's Basketball vs. West Virginia

Freshman guard Terrence Shannon, Jr. dribbles the ball across the court during the Texas Tech vs. West Virginia basketball game at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020 in United Supermarkets Arena. The Red Raiders defeated the Mountaineers, 89-81.

On Saturday, no. 17 Texas Tech defeated Texas A&M – Corpus Christi 77-57 inside of Comerica Center in Frisco, Texas.

“Really guys, I didn’t even know that until after the game,” Beard said on his one-hundredth win after the game. “They put my picture up there and I was like ‘Are they advertising the Kansas game or what?’

“One-hundred wins, it just means you’ve had good players.”

This was head coach Chris Beard’s one-hundredth win as Texas Tech’s head coach.

Tech started the game off hot, establishing a 13-3 lead by the 12-minute mark. They went on a 9-0 during that time as senior forward Marcus Santos-Silva started the game off strong.

Santos-Silva had five points and two blocks in his first seven minutes.

The Tech offense slowed down a bit after that run, making only two of their last 12 field goals from the field at the under eight-minutes media timeout. This allowed the Islanders to go on a 6-0 run.

The Tech defense was able to respond quickly by suffocating the Islanders’ offense. The Red Raiders forced six turnovers over a three-and-a-half-minute span, allowing them to go on an 11-0 run.

Freshman guard Micah Peavy had eight first half points and two steals as the Metroplex native started the game off aggressive. Peavy would go on to finish the game with 12 points and five boards.

The forced turnovers continued to be the cornerstone of Tech’s first half defense. The Islanders committed 13 turnovers in the first half that led to 13 points. This allowed Tech to go into the break with a 33-21 lead.

Junior guard Mac McClung struggled a bit from the field in the first half, starting the game 0-6. He still impacted the game on the defensive end of the floor, forcing three steals.

Junior guard Kyler Edwards led Tech in scoring at the break with nine points. He also had a pair of rebounds and assists.

The Red Raiders picked their offense up right back where it left off in the first half, beginning the second on an 8-0 run.

McClung was able to break his drought early, scoring five points in the first four minutes of the second half.

With McClung struggling to hit a rhythm as of late, sophomore guard Terrence Shannon Jr. spoke on the importance of Tech’s offensive fluidity after the game.

“We don’t really have a leading scorer . . . whoever gets going, and it’s their night, that’s who the scorer is,” Shannon said on the offensive distribution.

“You’re putting a complete game out there,” Beard said on McClung’s stat line. “He keeps putting out six assists, no turnover games and three steals, we’re gonna be a good team.”

Shannon, who missed his last game due to an ankle injury, finished as the game’s leading scorer. He had 15 points to go along with seven rebounds and two assists.

“It felt well today,” Shannon said on his ankle after the game. “When I was warming up, it felt alright. Once the game started, my adrenaline kicked in and I didn’t really feel it at all.”

“He (Shannon) really wanted to try to play,” Beard said on the guard after the game. “TJ was moving around fine.”

Tech continued to outpace the Islanders, outscoring them 18-12 at the under-12 minutes media timeout.

The Red Raiders continued to pull away from the Islanders, leading 60-38 with less than eight minutes left in the game.

As the game approached its end, Tech’s offense began to cool off a bit. The Red Raiders had made only one of their last 10 shots near the four-minute mark.

Despite ending the game cooled-off, the Tech offense was too much for the Islanders to overcome. Tech would go on to win the game 77-57.

Santos-Silva was everywhere on the court in this game, getting himself involved in what felt like every possession with tip-outs and hustle plays on defense. Tech’s singular senior would go on to finish the game with 12 points and six rebounds.

McClung was also able to find ways to contribute to offense despite a rough 2-10 shooting day. He finished the game with five points, four rebounds and six assists.

Sophomore guard Terrence Shannon Jr., who missed his last game due to an ankle injury, finished as the game’s leading scorer. He had 15 points to go along with seven rebounds and two assists.

The Red Raiders will now turn their focus to conference play, as they will take on No. 5 Kansas on Dec. 17.