Baseball vs. FIU

Senior infielder Cameron Warren watches for the ball during the game against Florida International University at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at Dan Law Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Panthers, 9-6.

The No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team had three student-athletes recognized for excelling in the classroom and on the field, earning them a spot on the Google Cloud Academic All-District First Team. 

Senior Cameron Warren, junior Josh Jung and sophomore Braxton Fulford each were named on the CoSIDA District 7 First Team along with nine other players, according to a Tech Athletics news release. With the trio of Red Raiders earning selections, Tech has the most players in District 7 and is one of three Division I schools across the nation with three players earning the honor. 

The only senior on the team, Warren has had a tremendous amount of success at the plate this year. He leads the Big 12 with 65 RBIs and 117 total bases while ranking second in the conference with 13 home runs and a .665 slugging percentage, according to the release. Warren also ranks fifth in the country with his RBI total. Warren also leads the Red Raiders in home runs, RBIs and slugging. 

One of the top draft prospects in the nation, Jung, has posted an impressive stat line this season, earning a .335 batting average, 49 RBIs, 48 runs, 45 walks, 19 doubles and nine home runs this season, according to the release. Compared to other players in the conference, Jung is ranked first in walks, is tied for first with doubles and is second in runs scored, RBIs and total bases. He is also ranked fourth in slugging percentage and fifth with his hit and home run total. 

While his season has been impressive, Fulford’s 3.92 cumulative GPA shows how hard of a worker he is in the classroom as well, according to the release. Fulford has earned a start in 40 games this season and improved his .193 batting average last year to a .279 this season. With Fulford catching, the pitching staff’s ERA has improved from a 4.48 last season to 4.17 this year. Providing offense at the bottom of the lineup, Fulford ranks sixth on the team in hits and runs scored. 

Recognizing the top student-athletes with their combined performances on the diamond and in the classroom, CoSIDA selected the players on the 2019 Google Cloud Academic All-District Baseball Teams, according to the release. The Google Cloud Academic All-America program recognized both baseball and softball in the NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III and NAIA separately. 

The Google Cloud Academic All-District teams divided players into eight geographic districts across the U.S. and Canada, according to the release. Players selected on the First-team Academic All-District will advance to the Google Cloud Academic All-America ballot. The first-, second- and third-team Academic All-America selections will be announced in June.