NCAA Championship vs. Dallas Baptist

Parker Kelly, sophomore infielder sprints towards first base during the second game of the NCAA Regional Championship game against Dallas Baptist at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 1, 2019 at the Dan Law Feld. After defeating Dallas Baptist, 3-2, the Red Raiders remained undefeated in the postseason with a 2-0 record.

The Texas Tech baseball team’s season came to a conclusion in the program’s first semifinals appearance in the 2019 College World Series, but the Red Raiders’ run was one for the program record books.

With the final loss to Michigan in the College World Series, Tech finished its season with a 46-20 overall record, according to Tech Athletics. With the 46 wins, it marked the third-straight season that the Red Raiders had a 45+ win season and the fifth in last six years. The impressive season resulted in Tech’s third Big 12 Championship in four years as they finished 16-8 in conference play.

In the postseason, the Red Raiders earned the No. 8 national seed. With the national seed, Tech became the only team in the nation to host a Regional in the last four season, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The Red Raiders were also one of three teams to earn a top-eight national seed three of the past four years. As the team made their way through the Regional and Super Regional round of the NCAA Tournament, the Tech also became one of three schools to make it to the College World Series four times in the last six years.

As the College World Series ended and the final polls were announced, the Red Raiders earned a No. 4 national ranking, according to the release. The ranking tied for the program’s highest as the 2016 team also finished as the fourth best team in the nation.

Individually, the Big 12 honored 15 Red Raiders with end-of-year awards, according to the release. Josh Jung topped the Big 12 as he was named the Co-Big 12 Player of the Year and joined Cameron Warren, Gabe Holt, Caleb Kilian and Taylor Floyd with a First Team All-Big 12 selection. Second Team selections included Brian Klein, Dylan Neuse and Clayton Beeter. Beeter also joined Micah Dallas and Cole Stilwell as the trio made the All-Freshman Team. Dane Haveman, John McMillon and Braxton Fulford were the final three Red Raiders to be recognized by the conference as they made the Honorable Mention list.

Jung proved to be a standout player at Tech as the Texas Rangers drafted him with the No. 8 overall pick in the first round of the Major League Baseball Draft. Along with the second-highest selection in program history, Jung earned a plethora of individual awards after he posted a .343 batting average with 81 hits, 65 runs scored, 58 RBI, 23 doubles and 15 home runs this season.

The junior earned All-America nods from D1 Baseball (first team), Collegiate Baseball Newspaper (second team), Baseball America (second team), National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (second team), Perfect Game (second team) and American Baseball Coaches Association (second team), according to the release. Jung was also awarded the Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award while being named as a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and Golden Spikes Award.

Warren also had an impressive resume in his senior season with Tech as the Cincinnati Reds drafted the Oklahoma native with the 654th pick in the MLB Draft. In his final year of eligibility, Warren led the Big 12 with 79 RBI while ranking second in the conference with a .356 batting average and 18 home runs, according to the Big 12. He also led the Red Raiders with 85 hits and was three runs behind Jung, crossing home 62 times in his senior campaign.

The senior’s name appeared on four All-America lists including Perfect Game (first team), D1 Baseball (second team), Baseball America (third team) and National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (third team). Warren was also the only Red Raider to earn a spot on the 2019 College World Series All-Tournament team and was named a semifinalist for the Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award.

Warren also led the Red Raiders in the Big 12 Weekly Awards as he was named the conference Player of the Week twice this season (March 11 and May 6), according to the Big 12. He also was the only Tech baseball player to earn a national weekly award as he was named the National Hitter of the Week (March 11). Jung was the only other Red Raider to earn a Player of the Week honor (April 29) by the Big 12 while Kilian was the only player on the team to be named the Pitcher of the Week (March 18). Four other Red Raiders earned a Big 12 Weekly Award as Tanner O’Tremba (Feb. 25), Neuse (March 11), Dru Baker (April 8) and Dallas (May 20) as the four each earned a Big 12 Newcomer of the Week nod.

Clayton Beeter was the only freshman from Tech to be named an All American as Collegiate Baseball Newspaper recognized him as he was an impressive closing pitcher for the Red Raiders, according to the release. Beeter took the mound for 19.2 innings this year, striking 39 batters out and posting a 3.20 ERA.

Beeter was also named to the Freshman All-America second team by Baseball America, according to the release. Dallas joined Beeter with Freshman All-America status as the freshman starting pitcher was recognized by D1 Baseball with a second team selection.

After having a good performance in the classroom, being one of four Big 12 baseball players to earn a 4.0-grade point average (GPA), according to the release. He joined Jung, Warren, Kilian, Klein, Holt, Fulford, Caleb Freeman, Parker Kelly, Cody Masters and Ryan Sublette on the Academic All-Big 12 Team.

Nine more Red Raiders earned their name on the Academic All-Rookie Team, including Baker, Dallas, O’Tremba, Mason Montgomery, Cole Stilwell, Max Marusak, Trey Garlett, Cade Farr and Noah Huerta, according to the release.

Jung, Warren and Fulford also were honored with a Google Cloud Academic All-District recognition for their academics, according to the release. Fulford also earned the Elite 90 Award for the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship for his 3.94 GPA. The entire Tech baseball team was also recognized in Omaha, Neb. as the Red Raiders earned the highest cumulative GPA at the 2019 College World Series.

With all of the awards and achievements the Red Raiders earned in the 2019 season, head coach Tim Tadlock also had an outstanding year. Tadlock was named the 2019 American Baseball Association/Diamond Midwest Regional Coach of the Year for the second consecutive year. In his seven years at Tech, Tadlock has garnered the award three times.

Seven players under Tadlock’s coaching were taken in the MLB Draft, according to the release. Along with Jung and Warren’s selections, the Milwaukee Brewers drafted Holt (223rd pick) and Floyd (313th pick). Kilian improved his draft stock as the San Francisco Giants chose drafted him with the 236th pick as he turned down the Baltimore Orioles last year after he was drafted with the 595th pick. The Detroit Tigers selected McMillon (332nd pick) and the Chicago White Sox drafted Freeman (440th pick).

The Red Raiders’ season did not end the way they wanted it to in the College World Series but the achievements and accolades proved how dominant Tech was both on the field and in the classroom.