Walker to assume day-to-day operations of MBB program - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Walker to assume day-to-day operations of MBB program

Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:06 pm | Updated: 8:19 pm, Wed Sep 12, 2012.

Texas Tech Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt released a statement Tuesday night concerning Billy Gillispie and the day-to-day operations of the men’s basketball program.

In the statement, Hocutt said associate head coach Chris Walker would assume the responsibility of carrying out daily activities.

Walker has coached collegiate basketball for 16 years, but is entering his second season at Tech.  The former Villanova point guard spent his last two seasons at his alma mater as an assistant.

“Coach Walker will help ensure that leadership and accountability will be in place for our student-athletes, assistant coaches and staff,” Hocutt said in the release. “We hope Billy Gillispie has a full recovery, but we cannot wait forever as we have a basketball team that starts practice soon.”

Gillispie’s current condition is being determined at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., according to an Associated Press report.

The Associated Press also reported a confirmation from Lubbock Police Department Sgt. Jeff Baker that an ambulance was sent to Gillispie’s home Monday around 6 p.m.

This was the second time Gillispie called 911 in two weeks.

Authorities with LPD were unavailable to comment on or confirm the report to The Daily Toreador.

Eric Finley, marketing director for University Medical Center, said Gillispie was not admitted at the hospital for a second time.

Darla Howard, a health supervisor, said Gillispie also was not admitted as a patient at Covenant Medical Center.

Gillispie did not return phone calls made Tuesday evening.

The university is still investigating accusations against Gillispie of having mistreated some of his players.

“We have been seeking a swift resolution to this issue from the very beginning,” Hocutt said. “We remain committed to communicating with Billy face-to-face regarding the issues relating to the men’s basketball program; however, time is of the essence.”

Featured Events