• September 3, 2015

Tech look to halt 7-game losing streak against Iowa State - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Tech look to halt 7-game losing streak against Iowa State

Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:15 am

The Texas Tech men's basketball team (9-15, 2-11 in Big 12 Conference play) takes a seven game losing streak on the road when it heads to Ames to take on the Iowa State Cyclones (18-8, 8-5) at 12:45 Saturday in James H. Hilton Coliseum.

The Red Raiders have two wins in conference play, one of which was against the Cyclones. However, Tech will face a much different team than the one they met earlier in the season because Iowa State plays to a different tune at home.

In conference play, Iowa State is undefeated against all opponents at home this season with a 6-0 record, winning by an average of 14.8 points in front of the Cyclone faithful.

"Fred (Hoiberg) has them going," Tech coach Chris Walker said. "It is going to be a ruckus crowd. It is going to be up to us to go in there with the belief that we can pull an upset."

Although Tech was able to defeat Iowa State in the previous matchup, Walker said they will face a new challenge against the Cyclones as his team will not have Red Raider fan support behind them.

"Each game presents a different set of circumstances," he said. "We have to go there and play, which is a difficult situation."

Heading into Ames, Walker said his team needs to be in the right frame of mind to face their Big 12 foe, solely focusing on the game ahead.

"It's all about what side of the bed Jordan Tolbert wakes up on," he said. "It does not matter if we do a great job on the scouting report if one of my guys goes in the game and he is thinking about his girlfriend."

The last time these two teams met, Iowa State had difficulty guarding Tech freshman guard Josh Gray, when he led all scorers with 16 points.

Gray is coming off a career game against Oklahoma where the young guard put up a 26-point performance, so he is not likely to be short of confidence heading into the away matchup.

When Tech last played Iowa State, the Cyclones shot poorly from the field, as they only scored 51 points in Lubbock, shooting 35.3 percent from the field.

However, Iowa State is ranked fifth in the nation in scoring, averaging 79.3 points per game.

Tech freshman guard Dusty Hannahs said the Red Raiders must be more persistent on defense because the Cyclones got open looks in the last matchup, but they were simply not making their shots.

"We gave up some good looks they did not knock down which we do not want to rely on because they are a great shooting team and we are just going to make sure we run them off the line," he said.

After playing Iowa State, Tech will have a day's rest before they face No. 13 Kansas State at 6 p.m. Monday in Manhattan.

Twitter