A year after reeling in the 19th-ranked recruiting class in the country, Texas Tech women's tennis coach Todd Petty is back at it, signing players needed to continue building his program toward national prominence.

Petty and the Lady Raiders took another step in that direction Wednesday signing Kenna Kilgo, a five-star recruit out of Midway High School in Waco.

"We're excited to get Kenna, she's one of the top players in the state of Texas," Petty said. "What we're really excited about is her upside. She's got tons of talent, kind of a blue-collared kid, works hard. I think she's really going to do well here in Lubbock."

According to www.tennisrecruiting.net, Kilgo is the fifth-ranked tennis player in the state of Texas, and No. 78 in the country.

Kilgo, like Lady Raider Samantha Adams, clinched a state championship in mixed doubles along with her brother Kolby, who plays for UT-San Antonio.

Not only did Kilgo and Adams both win mixed doubles state titles in high school, but they also have played together. In December, the duo competed in the USTA Winter National Championships in Phoenix, Ariz., and finished third in doubles competition.

Petty said having experience playing with one of the Lady Raiders is a positive for Kilgo, and being familiar with a few players will help in the transition process when she arrives.

"Yeah, no question. She's got a good relationship with Sam; they've known each other for a while. She knows Haley (Fournier) from junior tennis, and she knows a couple girls already coming in," he said. "That was kind of I think part of her decision, and what we were excited about is she's going to fit straight into the family, and she's not going to have a big adjustment period."