Double-double leads to double-digit victory - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Double-double leads to double-digit victory

Related YouTube Video

Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:59 pm | Updated: 1:20 pm, Mon Jan 28, 2013.

Coming off a three-game winning streak, the Texas Tech women’s basketball team earned its sixth Big 12 Conference victory of the season, playing host to the TCU Horned Frogs on Sunday afternoon.

The Lady Raiders expanded on their winning streak, winning 53-42.

Tech senior guard Chynna Brown led all scorers on the afternoon with 23 points and 12 rebounds, leading to her first career double-double.

“I think she’s playing very well right now,” TCU coach Jeff Mittie said. “This is a player that really is shooting the ball with a lot of confidence.”

Despite her career game against TCU, Brown said she wanted to give credit to her teammates for her success.

“I don’t pay attention to how many points I score, I just want to win,” Brown said. “I wouldn’t have gotten those points without my teammates.”

Tech senior guard Monique Smalls said she enjoys getting to play with a prolific scorer like Brown.

“It’s been lovely,” she said. “My assists are just racking up.”

A focal point of Tech’s attack was its aggressiveness on defense, which led to 25 points off turnovers.

Tech turned the ball over 18 times, but TCU was unable to capitalize; they scored only seven points off the Lady Raiders’ turnovers.

Having a poor shooting performance on the afternoon — 33.3 percent from the field on 22-66 shooting — the Lady Raiders were forced to score the ball through multiple outlets.

Tech’s poor shooting performance can be attributed to TCU’s effort on defense because the Red Raiders were held to their lowest scoring performance on the season.

“We made them miss enough today,” Mittie said.

However, both sides were forced to shoot the ball from outside because of superior defensive play.

“It wasn’t our best shooting day,” Curry said.

The Lady Raiders and Horned Frogs went to the line a combined 16 times, shedding light on each side’s unwillingness to draw  fouls and drive to the basket.

Jump shooting was responsible for the excessive amount of rebounds, with 90 total boards coming from both teams.

Although the Lady Raiders can credit their win to a multitude of factors, Curry said she gives credit to the crowd’s liveliness in the stands.  

“I thought our crowd was tremendous and really got into it and helped us out at critical times,” she said.

Tech is at an advantage in conference play because four of its five starters are currently seniors. Therefore, they are able to draw experience from previous years, Curry said.

“The thing about this team is they’re just preparing every day for the next one,” she said. “I’m proud of their leadership and mindset every day.

The Lady Raiders will hope to keep their four-game winning streak alive when they host No. 1 Baylor at 7 p.m. Wednesday in United Spirit Arena.

Featured Events