Tech football players sign to NFL teams - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Tech football players sign to NFL teams

Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:41 pm | Updated: 12:18 am, Tue Apr 30, 2013.

After three successive days of hearing former Big 12 Conference opponents’ names being called, four members of the 2012-2013 Texas Tech football team found places in the NFL after the draft occurred.  

Despite finishing sixth in the Big 12 in 2012, Tech was the only Big 12 school that did not have a player selected in the draft.  

Although members of the Tech football team were not selected in the draft after three successive afternoons of coverage, four Red Raiders were selected by teams via free agency.

Tech players who were signed comprise quarterback Seth Doege (Atlanta), free safety Cody Davis (St. Louis), offensive lineman Deveric Gallington (Oakland) and offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle (Detroit).

During the 2012 season, Doege led the Red Raiders with 39 touchdowns and 16 interceptions and a completion rate of more than 70 percent.

Although he improved his stats in total yards and touchdowns thrown, Doege is unlikely to see time at the starting position.

However, he does have a chance at backing up the Boston College alumnus, Falcons Pro Bowl quarterback Matt Ryan, because the two other quarterbacks on the Falcons roster have yet to see playing time in their NFL careers, therefore, Doege has as much NFL playing experience as them.

Players who contributed to Doege’s stats in his time at Tech, although not receiving official stats for it, were his offensive linemen, Waddle and Gallington, both of whom were selected via free agency.

Another Red Raider selected after the draft was Davis, who ranked fourth in the NCAA in solo tackles with 84 and seventh in solo tackles per game with 6.46.

Former Tech players will begin their pro careers with the kickoff of the season, which begins at 8:30 p.m. September 5 in Denver where the Broncos host the Ravens.

msuniga@dailytoreador.com

1 comment:

• marvinvinn posted at 5:27 am on Thu, May 8, 2014.

marvinvinn Posts: 51

I would like to attend a football match played by this team. I am a fig fan of national football, so I try not to miss the most important football matches of the season. I also try to buy, whenever I have the opportunity and money, collectible sports items from SuperiorSportsProducts.com. I believe that in this way, I show my appreciation for this wonderful sport.

Featured Events