The Texas Tech men’s basketball team suffered its second largest margin of defeat in Big 12 Conference play when it hosted No. 17 Oklahoma State on Wednesday, losing 91-67.

The Cowboys got off to a strong start when they began the game on a 21-6 run.

“I think we came in the game, and we were not focused and it got out of hand quick,” Tech freshman guard Josh Gray said. “We were not mentally prepared.”

During the first half, the Cowboys displayed their shooting range, knocking down 10 3-pointers, which accounted for 30 of their 55 points.

In the previous three games, Oklahoma State has shot just 25 percent from behind the line. However, the team shot 60 percent from three during the matchup against Tech.

After a strong showing in the first half, Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford said he talked to his players at halftime, bringing reference to Tech’s last game against West Virginia where Tech came back from an early deficit.

“We started the game the right way,” Ford said. “We made a lot of threes early. Do not let that be fool’s gold for you.”

Junior guard Markel Brown led all scorers on the afternoon with 25 points, shooting 7-8 from behind the line.

“He played the game of his life in the first half,” Walker said. “I believe that Markel Brown is the best player on that team.”

However, Brown failed to add to his scoring tally in the second half because Ford looked to utilize his bench after the break.

Brown played only seven minutes during the second half, attempting two shots and failing to make either.

Although Brown had a strong showing against Tech, Oklahoma State had a plethora of players who played big minutes for the Cowboys.

Michael Cobbins was able to record a rare double-double against the Red Raiders, as his teammates said they often give him a hard time for falling just short of recording the feat against other teams.

“Michael Cobbins has been our MVP,” Ford said. “Michael Cobbins is playing big-time basketball for us right now.”

Coming into Wednesday’s matchup, Tech sophomore forward Jordan Tolbert said he was anxious to play in front of a home crowd, but the Red Raiders were unable to get a win in front of their fans because of Oklahoma State’s superior play.

In the previous two home games, the Red Raiders lost by an average of 12.5 points.

“We feel like we let some people down because we know we are better than that,” Tech junior forward Dejan Kravic said. “We know what we are capable of.”

After suffering another defeat at home, Walker said the Red Raiders need to forget about their loss and look forward to the next game.

“They need to have amnesia,” Walker said. “Every game is different.”

The Red Raiders will look to revive their season when they compete against West Virginia at 3 p.m. Saturday in Morgantown.