Tuberville denies report; says he’s happy at Tech - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Tuberville denies report; says he’s happy at Tech

Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:07 pm

After Wednesday’s practice, Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville was asked about his team, the quarterback situation and the validity of a website’s report of him disliking his job at Tech.

Tuberville denied the report, chuckling and saying while some people might want him and his staff to leave, they are in Lubbock for the long haul.

“I don’t know where that came from ... This is a great place. We’re going to build something here that people here can be proud of,” Tuberville said. “I think that’s coming from a lot of people that probably would hope that we would pack up and leave, but we’re looking forward to it.

“It’s going to be a tough challenge the next couple of years getting it where we wanna get it to. I would imagine that’s coming from across the river somewhere. They would hope I would go somewhere else.”

The report surfaced Wednesday morning in a post on the Facebook page of Sports By Brooks, a well-known sports blog.

On the page, Brooks states the second-year coach is “absolutely miserable” at Tech.

“(He) Wishes he hadn’t heeded advice of Under Armour folks and taken TTU job,” the report states. “One of his complaints is ADs (Gerald) Myers/ (Kirby) Hocutt are powerless to keep admins and boosters in check. (Mike) Leach refused to kiss their rings, and you see what that got him. #tubs has told multiple sources he wishes he’d taken USF job over TTU.”

Brooks’ website states Brooks is a “16-year sports mainstream media professional.”  It says the main goal of the website is to “post sports news and original commentary you won’t get from mainstream sports media.”

For his part, Tuberville and his team will be back at practice preparing for the spring game, which kicks off at 1 p.m. Saturday at Jones AT&T Stadium.

Featured Events