Tech drops fourth game in five weeks after OT loss - The Daily Toreador: Sports

Tech drops fourth game in five weeks after OT loss

Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:24 pm

After beginning the season 6-1, the Red Raiders have lost four of their final five games including a 52-45 loss to the Baylor Bears in Cowboys Stadium.

Texas Tech led for the majority of the game, but 31 second-half points allowed the Bears to take the lead back in the fourth quarter.

Senior quarterback Seth Doege passed for 359 yards and three touchdowns and also threw three interceptions in the loss.

Tech coach Tommy Tuberville said it was unfortunate the Red Raiders were unable to find a way to get their third overtime win, especially for the senior class.

“Seth, a lot of people will say three interceptions, but I’ll tell you what, I’ll take that kid to battle every time,” he said. “He has made a lot of plays. He’s one of those kids that he’ll take it harder than anybody. He told the group at the beginning of the week, he says, ‘Just give me some help, we’ll win this game. I’m going to do everything I can to win this game.’ We had some great performances. But again, (this was) our third overtime, and we weren’t able to pull it off.”

Baylor missed a 42-yard field goal on its opening drive. This would be a recurring theme during the game.

Tech appeared to have a potential touchdown when Doege looked deep down the field for senior receiver Darrin Moore, the pass fell incomplete, but a pass interference penalty gave Tech a first down.

Two plays later, Doege caught Baylor’s defense shifting to the left side of the field, which created an open running lane for Doege allowing him to score on a 19-yard rushing touchdown.

Shortly thereafter, sophomore Kenny Williams scored another touchdown on a 5-yard scamper giving Tech an early 14-0 lead.

Junior Glasco Martin scored from 1-yard out on the Bears following drive, however, 55 seconds later Doege connected with Eric Ward for a 23-yard touchdown pass.

The quick-paced scoring also would be a theme from the game Saturday. At one point, Tech answered a Baylor touchdown with a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by freshman receiver Jakeem Grant.

“I basically saw the open hole, and I used my speed,” Grant said. “(I) just ran past everybody.”

Moore finished with a stellar performance, tallying 13 catches for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Moore said he expected to have a good game against Baylor’s defense but a win would have been better.

“I wouldn’t say it’s bittersweet,” he said. “It’s bitter that we took the (loss). All those stats don’t mean anything when you still lose.”

The Bears would score again in the closing seconds of the first half when senior quarterback Nick Florence connected with sophomore receiver Levi Norwood from 39 yards out.

After a 36-yard pass to Terrance Williams allowed the Bears to set up inside of Tech’s 5-yard line, Martin fumbled the football only for Florence to recover and scramble across the goal line for another Baylor touchdown.

Williams also had an impressive day at the receiver position. The senior had seven catches for 175 yards and one touchdown.

Tuberville said the game plan was to keep multiple defenders around Williams, but he still was able to make some spectacular catches.

“We doubled him most of the time,” he said. “He still caught it, (he) made some unbelievable catches. The one third-down catch, their last drive, was just unbelievable.”

Florence connected with Williams again from 4 yards out for the Bears final touchdown in regulation.

Tech answered back quickly when Doege tossed a 6-yard touchdown pass to Darrin Moore, which gave the Red Raiders a 45-42 lead in the closing minutes. Baylor would kick a field goal, however, and tie the game again.

After an interception from Doege, Baylor had an opportunity to win the football game in regulation. However, a missed field goal squandered the Bears opportunity, and the game was settled in overtime.

Baylor had the first possession of overtime and wasted little time attacking Tech’s defense. The Bears dialed up four consecutive running plays, capped off by a 4-yard touchdown run by Martin.

In contrast, Tech chose to throw the ball five consecutive times during its possession in overtime. All five of the passes were incompletions including the fourth down pass that ended the game.

With the loss, Tech is now projected to face Oregon State in the Holiday Bowl, according to CBS sports.

Featured Events