Torres shakes 'em off

Texas Tech wide receiver Alex Torres shakes off a tackle during Tech’s 41-34 loss to Kansas State on Oct. 15 at Jones AT&T Stadium. The Red Raiders take on Iowa State on Saturday at 6 p.m. at home in hopes of avenging last season’s 52-38 loss in Ames, Iowa.

Shocking.

That is how Texas Tech wide receiver Alex Torres described the Red Raiders’ 52-38 loss to Iowa State in 2010 in Ames, Iowa.

Tech (5-2, 2-2 in Big 12 Conference play) entered the weekend of Oct. 2, 2010, coming off a bye week that had followed a conference-opening loss to Texas in Lubbock on Sept. 18, 2010.

What unfolded in Ames that weekend was something Torres said the team just was taken back by.

“Man, it was just a shock,” Torres said Monday. “That’s one thing. They came out and just hit us in the mouth right away, and I don’t think we handled it as well as we should have.”

Now, the No. 20 Red Raiders get their opportunity to avenge the loss when they host the Cyclones (3-4, 0-4) at 6 p.m. Saturday at Jones AT&T Stadium.

A concern heading into Saturday’s bout is the possibility of a hangover for Tech following its upset of No. 9 Oklahoma in Norman, Okla., last Saturday.

Tech coach Tommy Tuberville and players made it clear early in the week that the Oklahoma win was behind them.

One game the Red Raiders did get to dwell a little bit on was the loss to Iowa State last year, considering the amount of film study centering on last year’s defeat.

Tech quarterback Seth Doege said it was bizarre to see the flow of the team’s loss to the Cyclones in 2010 through film sessions.

“It was weird because we got down so bad early, and then we fought back,” Doege said. “It felt like we were coming back and about to win the game, and then things go sour. We still have that taste in the back of our mouths, so it’s just one of those things. We’re motivated because we know exactly what they can do to us if we’re not really there to play.”

On Wednesday, Tuberville said the similarities are striking between the play of both the Cyclones and the Kansas State Wildcats.

The similarities also extend to the ways in which Tech lost to Iowa State in 2010 and to Kansas State earlier this season.

The Red Raiders outgained both teams in those losses but lost the turnover battle.

Doege’s worst game of the season was a loss to the Wildcats on Oct. 15, a game in which the junior threw three interceptions.

Against the Cyclones last year, Tech turned the ball over three times.

Taking those numbers into account, Doege said the key to success for teams like Iowa State and Kansas State is the basic style of play the two squads incorporate.

“I think (Iowa State is) pretty similar to Kansas State,” Doege said. “They’re very sound in what they do. They don’t do a whole lot, but what they do they’re really good at.”

themag1

We survived a sandstorm last week but we didn't survive this latest Cyclone...... Where did our football team go???