Tuberville’s corner

Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville has recently apologized to graduate assistant Kevin Oliver.

Tuberville was seen on camera getting into a verbal dispute with the assistant that turned physical when Tuberville appeared to strike the assistant’s headset causing his ball cap and headset to fall from his head.

Tuberville said the incident upset him, and he must hold himself to a higher regard than that he displayed.

“After watching film when I got home, it was obvious what a lot of people were upset about,” Tuberville said. “It upset me, too. You don’t do things like that, and it was obvious I reached up, grabbed his headset, and pulled on it. (In the) heat of battle, some things happen, and sometimes you’d like to take (those things) back. I can’t remember anything like that happening to me. But that was a tough game. We’re fighting hard. I’ve apologized to Kevin.

“It’s unfortunate that that happened. I’ve got kids of my own. I’ve got a hundred kids on the sidelines and coaches and I’ve got to hold myself to a higher regard than that, and I usually do.”

Summoned to Stillwater

It took all four quarters and two extra helpings of overtime for Texas Tech (7-3, 4-3) to defeat Kansas (1-9, 0-7) but the Red Raiders prevailed by a score of 41-34 to give the senior class their final home victory at Jones AT&T Stadium.

This week, the Red Raiders are in preparation for a trip to Stillwater, Okla., where they will face Oklahoma State (6-3, 4-2) at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.

The winner of this matchup will be in fourth place in the Big 12 Conference and move into prime bowl-game positioning.

Red Raider Redemption

A season ago, when Oklahoma State traveled to Lubbock to face Tech, the Cowboys beat the Red Raiders by an eye-opening 66-6 drubbing anchored by a five-touchdown performance from former first-round pick and now-Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Senior quarterback Seth Doege said the performance was an embarrassment in every aspect of the game.

“It was an embarrassment,” Doege said. “They were probably the better football team last year, but there was no reason that it should have been that lopsided. I didn’t play – I probably played one of my worst games I’ve ever played, and the defense didn’t play a very good game either. (Oklahoma State’s domination) was just all around. It was just a terrible football game by us. But we’re a totally different football team than we were last year. I don’t think we’ll lay an egg like that ever again.”

Defensive familiarity

The Oklahoma State offensive gameplan is somewhat similar to what the Red Raiders scheme has been in the past. The air-raid passing attack allows the Red Raiders defense to have a certain sense of familiarity with what the Cowboys are trying to accomplish when the two teams meet Saturday.

Senior safety D.J. Johnson said Tech’s defense is a little more comfortable playing against Oklahoma State, and this week, the ‘chain gang’ will go back to the basics.

“This is a team that does basically the same thing our offense does,” Johnson said. “We understand the scheme, and this is back to the basics. This week is definitely back to basics. It’s back to understanding what we’ve done against our team and how to prepare for their team, for the passing attack. It’s a lot easier to understand route concepts than blocking schemes.”