The Texas Tech baseball team will play the defending national champions, the Arizona Wildcats, in a two-game series Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tech coach Tim Tadlock said he expects some of the players to have butterflies before the game, but once the game begins, it’s the same as others.

“It’s really going to be fun,” Tadlock said. “I think our guys are looking forward to it and we’re going to get to play a game on Tuesday night, and I think we play Wednesday afternoon and (we are) really looking forward to it. We get the chance to run a couple of guys out there again, we get to see a couple more guys as starters and we should have a full bullpen, and it should be a really good challenge for our guys.”

While freshman pitcher Matt Withrow probably won’t pitch against the Wildcats, he said playing a high-quality team like them is how Tech can improve.

“We’re really looking forward to playing at high competition,” he said, “and (you) can never complain going to Arizona because of the great weather out there.”

Tech junior outfielder Devon Conley said he is excited to play the 10-3 team.

“It’s a good opportunity,” he said, “(they are) defending national champions and try to go in there and take a game or two or both. I’m honestly trying to take both of them, but it will be fun to see the competition and see how we are up against those players.”

The Red Raiders play the Wildcats at 7 p.m. Tuesday and 2 p.m. Wednesday in Tucson, Ariz.

Tadlock said the competition doesn’t matter.

“I want to go play every day,” he said, “whoever we play — and like I told you guys before, I want people to be excited about watching Texas Tech baseball play and not who we’re playing. I want us to play the right way and we’re getting there.”