In addition to its TechAlert! mass notification system that delivers email, text and voice messages about emergency situations or class cancellations/delays (sign up at appserv.itts.ttu.edu/EmergencyAlert/), Texas Tech has an outdoor siren system designed to alert students, staff, faculty and on-campus visitors about severe weather emergencies.

The system is periodically tested, but members of the campus community are notified well in advance of test dates through TechAnnounce, social media and other message delivery platforms.

When the system is tested, the outdoor sirens typically are sounded for a short period of time — usually one minute — to allow campus officials to ensure that each of the devices works properly.

In the event of an actual severe weather emergency, these sirens can be used to notify members of the campus community.

If severe weather approaches and the sirens are sounded, act quickly. Avoid windows. Go to the basement of the building you are in or to the lowest floor and get in a small, central room, under a stairwell or in an interior hallway. Do not use elevators. For more information about tornado safety, visit www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html.

For more details about TechAlert! or other university safety plans, visit www.depts.ttu.edu/communications/emergency.