Study Tips and Tricks

When it comes time to study for tests, many students find themselves stressed. Following a few simple tips can make the process much easier.

Making the transition from high school to college isn’t easy, especially in the classroom. Here are some tips that might help make the transition easier:

• One of the most helpful tools is the class syllabus. “It breaks down every single expectation for that class, down to the percentage of how many points, how many absences,” Sarah Cuevas, academic adviser for Texas Tech University Advising, said.

• Taking notes increases classroom engagement and is not a one-size-fits-all activity. Note-taking does not mean writing down every word, Cathe Nutter, senior director for University Advising, said, but involves using words or doodles as a reminder of what was covered in class. 

• Making use of all classroom resources. “Take the notes, use the handouts. I think all of the components help,” Wayne Perrin, lead academic recovery adviser, said. “The more that you can use, the better you are going to remember information, the better you are going to retain your information.”

• The focus shouldn’t always be on getting an A, but knowing the details of the class, Brett Stine, senior academic adviser with University Advising, said.

Need more help?

• Sometimes there are disabilities that can inhibit students’ classroom activities. For those with disabilities that affect their classroom time, students should visit the TECHniques Center, located in West Hall.

• A part of Student Disability Services, TECHniques is not immediately available to all students, Kyle Shannon, TECHniques assistant director, said. “Students have to first qualify and apply through Student Disability Services, which just means if they have a diagnosis, they are eligible to apply for services.” The program is open to those with learning disabilities, such as but not limited to attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, autism or dyslexia. The program, which offers one-on-one tutoring and academic counseling, is limited to 175 students. 

• Students stay in the program as long as they need the tutoring, Shannon said. Once a student feels ready to take on classes alone, he or she has the option of leaving the program.

• For more details, visit www.depts.ttu.edu/techniques.