The case of Jussie Smollett, actor in the television show “Empire,” has reached numerous climaxes during its twists and turns the last few months. What’s surprising, in this case, is the lack of collaboration between the Chicago Police Department and the State’s Attorney’s office. 

Chicago PD’s Commander Ed Wodnicki issued a statement expressing his disapproval of such a decision from the State’s office in an interview with NBC Chicago

“We worked closely throughout our three-week investigation to get to point where we arrested the offender. For the state’s attorney at this point to dismiss charges without discussing this with us at all is just shocking,” he said during the interview.

Was the lack of communication purposeful in the fact the State’s office saw and understood the level of social status that Smollett holds? Could it be Smollett knew his social status would ultimately protect him if things turned south? Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel sure thought so, stating in a press conference the situation “ … sends a clear message that if you are in a position of influence and power you’ll get treated one-way, other people will be treated another way.”

Imagine the justice and satisfaction we could have if only an emphasis was placed on equality and integrity, an equality of social status where people in influential positions don’t receive special treatment. A new image would be created that shows high social status does not guarantee freedom or charge dismissal. 

We must demand answers and demand the wealthy be processed through the same system as anyone else who allegedly commits a crime.