Gleinser: Leach issue still remains - The Daily Toreador: Opinion

Gleinser: Leach issue still remains

Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:48 pm

Normally, I refrain from writing sports columns simply because it’s the job of my colleagues in the sports section. However, this is an issue transcending sports and I feel a great need to say a few things.

I’ve been hearing a lot of chatter lately about the Red Raider football team and its many shortcomings this season, most notably regarding last Saturday’s embarrassing loss against Iowa State. There are those, including myself, who bring up how Mike Leach likely would not have lost that game, while there are those who seem to be offended by this point.

What made my blood boil on this issue, however, is how a column appeared in Tuesday’s edition of The Daily Toreador in which the author demanded everyone who thought Leach would have won Saturday’s game to write a letter of apology to the athletic department.

Why on earth would I ever apologize for acknowledging the failures of the athletic department? Why should I be remorseful for disapproving of the decisions made by the university’s power-hungry administration?

Beyond opinion, it reasonably has been proven that Leach was wrongfully terminated in 2009. In his recent book, “Swing Your Sword,” Leach not only explains the details of his firing, but provides evidence in the forms of emails, phone messages and depositions involving notable people such as Chancellor Kent Hance, Regents Larry Anders and Jerry Turner, booster and former regent Jim Sowell and ESPN analyst Craig James.

I won’t go into detail about the circumstances of Leach’s firing, as I would just be summarizing parts of the book. But, those who deny the fact that Leach was unfairly fired either have their heads in the sand or simply do not want to know.

It’s been almost two years since Leach was fired and the issue still remains in the minds of many fans. There are two reasons for this. First, the issue remains unresolved. Secondly, the current Red Raider football team looks inferior to the one Leach ran.

I almost can guarantee that the Red Raiders would have won at least 10 games last year had Leach still been their coach. The program was built by him and therefore was perfectly suitable to his style.

But, now that a coach has been brought in with a completely different style, rebuilding must be done. Even though Tommy Tuberville has been hailed as a defensive coach, the defense has shown no improvement after the Leach years.

Also, the offense under Tuberville is simply not as potent as it was under Leach, as evidenced by the Iowa State game. Leach is easily one of the greatest offensive minds in college football, while Tuberville and offensive coordinator Neal Brown, whose short-yardage playbook seems to contain only one play, simply are not.

Tuberville also seems to have a knack for blowing games. Some of his decisions played an important role in the losses to Texas A&M and Kansas State while he nearly blew the Oklahoma game. The team is obviously poorly coached, which is why Tuberville needs better players to beat the big teams than Leach did. There is no substitute for good coaching. Until Tuberville can prove he is an upgrade over Leach, the comparison will always be there.

With this being said, I fully realize Leach never will coach the Red Raiders again. Sadly, his ship has sailed. Tuberville is the coach now and I hope and pray he and the Red Raiders will succeed in the near future. I know Tuberville has the ability to take the football program a long way.

With this argument out of the way, the remaining issue is that Leach’s termination has not been resolved. Lawsuits still are pending and Leach keeps fighting.

What the Red Raider nation desperately needs is for Leach to win his lawsuits and be paid all of the money and damages owed to him by Texas Tech and ESPN.

The truth about the firing needs to come out as well. Those responsible for conspiring to get rid of Leach should be held accountable. Many of Tech’s faithful, including myself, will not be satisfied until the aforementioned notable people are run out of Lubbock for good or, in the case of James, fired from ESPN.

So, don’t write this issue off as a bunch of drunken pirates waving their flags around. This is going to remain in the background until the issue is resolved, as I have explained.

Leach must be paid, conspirators must be punished and Tuberville must start winning more games. Until then, Leach’s name is going to keep coming up as a reminder of better times gone by.

20 comments:

• pirate20 posted at 10:16 pm on Tue, Nov 8, 2011.

pirate20 Posts: 24

@Luke2013, great comment

@thatoneguy, Leach doesn't have a job because he got smeared nationally by ESPN. That and his ongoing legal battles means that he has a lot of baggage that schools just don't want to deal with. Leach will coach again, I guarantee it.

Sure, Leach had a few stinkers, but look at what Tuberville has done here. Consecutive blowout losses, 3-game losing streak at home (never happened under Leach), zero Big 12 wins at home this year (never happened under Leach, and the prospect of ending that against Ok State doesn't look good), 0-2 against Iowa State (both were blowouts), winless against A&M and UT (Leach had a winning record against A&M). This doesn't exactly look like a better coach or a better team. The column is spot on. The Red Raider Nation can't let this injustice and blatant abuse of power go undisciplined.

• Nelso posted at 1:40 pm on Mon, Nov 7, 2011.

Nelso Posts: 2

Great Article. I don't remember the defensive ever being this bad under Leach.

• thatoneguy posted at 10:26 am on Mon, Nov 7, 2011.

thatoneguy Posts: 2

If Leach is such a great coach, why doesn't he have a job?

• Luke2013 posted at 1:29 am on Mon, Nov 7, 2011.

Luke2013 Posts: 4

Upon viewing the comments by other users, I was reminded that, sadly, some of my fellow Raiders are ignorant.

Let's look at his statement that he "almost can guarantee" ten wins in 2010 under Leach. The young 2009 team finished with a 9-win season, although they did not play up to their full potential in at least two of the losses. If I recall correctly, 19 of these 22 starters would return in 2010, which was either first or second best in the nation, correct me if I'm wrong. That being said, it is reasonably possible for them to improve their season by one game, especially with the Big XII as down as it was in '10. Even then, he acknowledged the lingering possibility of a bad season, by saying "almost". Get off his case and get your heads out of the sand.

• drsteve78 posted at 11:23 am on Sun, Nov 6, 2011.

drsteve78 Posts: 1

Outstanding! Great article.

• Luke2013 posted at 1:09 am on Sun, Nov 6, 2011.

Luke2013 Posts: 4

Great article! I'm excited to see that there are people who still have their heads screwed on straight enough to see that we are going nowhere fast with Hance & Co at the helm of our university, and Tubs in control of our team. I love my school and football team, but it is hard to get over the pain of these past two football seasons. Dreaming of better days! Thanks for the article!

• KTXT posted at 5:55 pm on Fri, Nov 4, 2011.

KTXT Posts: 1

What words of wisdom from those writing in on behalf of the Athletic Dept.

"Young" is - an excuse. Most teams have young players. Some more than others - but some adjust better than others. We dont adjust.

Someone should have told that young freshman QB in his first start for Iowa State that he's too young to win or play well.

I guess since we are quoting Leach stats, here are a few to chew on:

Since Leach was wrongfully terminated Texas Tech is 1-5 Against Big XII Opponents at home and on the road 1-8 against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, A&M, Kansas State, and Iowa State.

and the 69 streak of a Texas Tech Qb throwing a TD was snapped as well as the first time Texas Tech has lost 3 straight at home since 1992

Oh BTW- According to the AP: Texas Tech is 2nd team since '89 (when became Top 25), to go from 0 votes to ranked to 0 votes in 3 wks.

The way I look at it, we are not a young team. We are not a rebuilding team. We have good players, but we are not coached well .

So will any of this bring Leach back? No. However, you guys can stop parroting Hance and call for a new Coach and Chancellor.. It doesn't appear things are getting better anytime soon.

• ImissLeach posted at 11:07 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

ImissLeach Posts: 1

Well said Andrew!!! Haha, I think all the idiots with the negative comments must be friends of Nancy James. While Leach did lose what should have been an easy game each year, there is no comparison between what he built at Tech and whatever the heck is going on now. I'll eat my words if Tupperware turns it around next year, but he continues to show his (and his coaches') incompetence week after week. The OU game was obviously a fluke.

Anyone who doesn't feel exactly like you and I feel either didn't go to Tech, has never been to a freaking game, or is a relative of Nancy James or someone in the BS administration. No doubt we weren't always great with Leach. But more times than not, you knew we were going to be exciting and put 40 or 50 points on the board. With this year's team, you can't count on the offense, defense, or special teams.

Keep fighting the good fight, we're the 99% who know have a clue what happened to Leach...

• raiderredhr2 posted at 10:49 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

raiderredhr2 Posts: 3

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with the inaccuracies of this article.

First, I'm pretty sure that you should have learned in one of your journalism classes that using a source written by the individual you are trying to prove correct is not the most firm ground to stand on. You basically said, "Mike Leach is right in this situation because Mike Leach said so." Very strong argument right there. That's like saying that Hitler was justified in his actions because it said so in Mein Kampf.

Second, it is ludicrous to state that you can "almost guarantee" that Leach would have won 10 games last year. Are you the Nostradamus? How can you guarantee anything like that? Were you not around when Leach teams had their epic meltdowns? I remember being thoroughly embarrassed by loses to New Mexico, Colorado, complete meltdowns at Missouri and of course at OU in '08. Don't forget the touchdown-less game at TCU and the multiple chokings at home to UT and OU. It is easy to remember the good and convince yourself that every game was like the '08 UT game, but I hate to be the one to bring you back to reality...they weren't.

I could continue for hours, but I have a feeling that you will not be convinced. I mean, why let facts and logic get in the way of a good article, right?

Oh yeah, and like a few other posters mentioned, pull a Leach and tell your boss to go "F himself" (but in true Mike Leach fashion, uncensored of course) and write an article about how well that goes over. I would read that one for sure.

• raiderredhr2 posted at 10:46 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

raiderredhr2 Posts: 3

A friend of mine pointed this out as well:

Let's not forget these Leach gems in his last 5 years.

2005
    L 24-17 OkSt (Only conference win for the Pokes we had no first half point)
    L 13-10 Bama

2006
    L 12-3 TCU
    L 38-21 Mizz
    L 30-6 CU

2007
    L 41-10 Mizz
    L 31-26 CU

2008
    L 65-21 OU

2009
    L 29-28 UH
    L 52-30 A&M
    L 24-17 OkSt

A few more notes about the above games:

2005 - L OkSt - 10th game of the season, No first half points, their only conference win, may have cost us a BCS game
    2006 - L CU - 7th game of the season - Scoreless in first 3 quarters, their only conference win
    2007 - L Mizz 8th game of the year - 3 scoreless quarters
    2008 - L OU - 11th game of the year - 7 first half points
    2009 - L OSU - 10th game of the year - 2 scoreless quarters

• raiderredhr2 posted at 10:40 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

raiderredhr2 Posts: 3

• rindworld posted at 8:54 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

rindworld Posts: 1

Well said...

• mkf0411 posted at 1:55 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

mkf0411 Posts: 2

I do agree with one thing though, you SHOULD refrain from writing about sports because it's obvious that you don't have a clue.

mkf0411 Posts: 2

There is so much ignorance in this article I don't even know where to begin... but here we go...

You can't guarantee that Leach would have won anything or would have had a certain record at this point in the season. It's completely ludicrous to even think that you could. Leach won a couple of big games, sure, but you conveniently forgot to mention all of the mind-boggling losses that HE had as well...

Losing to Houston back in 2009? Losing to New Mexico back in 2004? The fact that he could only beat Colorado ONCE since 2002? He didn't manage to score a touchdown against TCU and Colorado in 2006.... where was the "greatest offensive mind in college football" for those games?

And even after one bad offensive game, yes only 1 against Iowa State, we're still 8th in the nation in total offense, so throw that Neal Brown argument out the window right now as well.

As far as defense goes, did it ever occur to you that maybe, JUST MAYBE, the reason why we're not performing well this year with a defensive-minded coach is because Leach decided to completely ignore recruiting for that side of the ball for the better part of 10 years? We don't have the talent necessary to be successful there yet and it's NOT a secret. You have to give Tuberville time to get HIS RECRUITS on campus, which are already shaping up to be better than who Leach brought in.

Tuberville has already proven that he's a better coach than Leach. 5 division titles, 1 SEC championship, and an undefeated season are more than Leach could have ever hoped to win. That drunken sociopath never won anything of any REAL significance while he was here.

You mentioned Leach's book about his firing (which i'm sure is a 100% unbiased view /sarcasm/) but neglected to mention the fact that he told Chancellor Hance to go "F himself". I dare you to say that to your boss and see if you still have a job the next day.

All this hero worship of Leach is just ridiculous and has no merit at all. There's a reason why he's not coaching right now. Because no one wants to deal with the mess he brings along with him. He won't be coaching again for a LONG TIME, if ever. And that's his own fault.

• Jbenny posted at 1:24 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

Jbenny Posts: 1

This article does nothing to but prove that the writer should not be writing about sports and probably should not even be allowed to think about them.

Leach never had a defense and every year lost a game like Iowa State. The difference between those teams and this years team is that we're actually playing talented young players compared to whoever was in the system the longest. He did such a poor job recruiting that we are now in the situation we are in now.

Lastly, when you graduate and get a real job, why don't you try being insubordinate and openly looking for a new job and see how long you keep your job. To use that book as a the basis of truth in this article proves how poor this article. I would not put this one in your portfolio when you apply for a job.

• rdrdr posted at 12:47 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

rdrdr Posts: 1

I agree, you probably should refrain from writing. How can you 'guarantee' 10 wins when Leach only did it only once in 10 years. He never won anything in the Big12 in 10 years. That should be long enough. Our offense is just as potent as ever, just had a bad game. I remember plenty of bad games under Leach as well. We also rolled OU in Norman this year, remember that?

You know why we're playing so many freshmen this year? Take a look at the recruiting classes for Leaches last 2-3 years. Bottom third of the conference. That's what Tubs is dealing with today. Now our recruiting is top 20 in the nation.

If you think he was wrongfully fired, fine, but I suggest you don't just take what he wrote in his book as the whole story. Try dealing with your employer the way Leach did and let us know how that turns out.

• truefan posted at 12:07 pm on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

truefan Posts: 1

Biggest piece of nonsense I've read yet. It's abundantly obvious you don't write about sports much, much less watch any.

Guaranteeing 10 wins when we're playing with a multitude of walk-ons on defense last year and Taylor Potts at QB is ridiculous.

Mike Leach was an average coach. He went 84-43 for christ's sake and couldn't even win the cotton bowl.

Our offense hasn't missed a beat either. Currently, we're 8th in the NCAA for total yards per game and 5th in passing yards per game.

Mike leach went searching for new jobs every year and in some documented cases didn't even tell our Athletic Department. He should have been fired for that alone. There's a reason our RBs coach from 2007, Seth Litrell, left our program for Arizona and why Dana Holgerson left tech for Houston in discontent. Not to mention, he also explicitly told our chancellor to "f*** off".

But oh well.

• 4Tech posted at 9:12 am on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

4Tech Posts: 3

VERY well written article! Couldn't have said it better.

• redraider76 posted at 7:49 am on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

redraider76 Posts: 1

Andrew, thank you for accurately reflecting what many of us feel and for pointing out that there are still things to be resolved in the Mike Leach situation. Many people think that those of us who support Mike Leach no longer support the Red Raiders or the current football coach/team, which is incorrect. I love Tech, but I think what the administration did to Mike Leach was so wrong and had absolutely NO HONOR. It makes me sick now to see Tech pushing Honor now, when there was no honor at all in firing Mike Leach and certainly there is no honor now in not resolving the lawsuits. I would love to see the Red Raiders succeed. All of us want a university that we can be proud of. Mike Leach gave us something to be proud of for 10 years. We had an identity. That is gone now, along with our pride and honor. And that is what I still mourn today.

• katgirl5 posted at 12:06 am on Thu, Nov 3, 2011.

katgirl5 Posts: 1

Andrew... you wrote a truthful, wonderful, and concise article. Thank you for standing up for what is right... Only when Coach Leach is paid for 2009 and his bonus that he rightly earned, will Tech ever truly heal.... fabulous job, A!!

Featured Events

Loading…