Lori Rice-Spearman

Lori Rice-Spearman serves as the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center interim president, provost and chief academic officer.

Lori Rice-Spearman was named the new provost and chief academic officer for the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center.

Rice-Spearman begins her position on Oct. 1 and will work to bring all the schools together under the Tech HSC’s objectives, according to a Tech HSC news release. She began working at the HSC in 1987, and was appointed dean of the Tech HSC School of Health Professions in January 2016.

The School of Health Professions students who needed to complete license and certification requirements had 93 percent first-time pass rates, and language pathology graduates have had 100 percent pass rates on the national certification exam for the past 11 years, according to the news release. The students also had a 100 percent job placement rate for licensed practitioners.

“Under her leadership, the School of Health Professions demonstrated a commitment to a culture of academic excellence that spelled success for our students,” Tedd L. Mitchell, Tech System chancellor and Tech HSC president said, according to the news release. “Lori was the unanimous recommendation of the selection committee. She helped form partnerships and relationships at TTUHSC and the Texas Tech University System that allowed the school to further our mission of expanding access and improving the quality of health care in Texas.”