Because of Texas Tech’s support for the LGBTQIA community, the university has earned the Premier Campus designation on the Campus Pride Index for the third year in a row.

The CPI evaluates an institution based on its hospitality toward the campus’ LGBTQIA community, according to a Tech news release.

In addition to the designation, Tech received a 4.5-star overall score on the index for the second consecutive year, which tied it for second among Texas institutions, according to the news release. Tech tied with the University of Houston at 4.5-stars each, while the University of Texas at Dallas led all Texas schools with a 5-star rating. After 2018, Tech moved to ranking No. 43 nationally from No. 69 nationally the year prior. 

Carol A. Sumner, chief diversity officer and vice president of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, said the 4.5-star rating helps Tech’s brand of diversity and plans to represent the LGBTQIA community, according to the news release.

“We are proud of the work that is represented through the increased overall score and 4.5-star ranking,” Sumner said, according to the news release. “It truly is a reflection of our university commitment as indicated through our strategic plan and overall commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.”

Overall scores from each institution are based off responses submitted each year, according to the news release. 

The score consists of eight components on a 100 percent scale, according to the news release. The institutions receive a sexual orientation score along with a gender identity/expression score.   

From 2018 to 2019, Tech improved its scores in five categories, which include increases in policy inclusion from 76 to 77 percent, student life from 93 to 98 percent, support and institutional commitment from 86 to 91 percent, counseling and health from 85 to 96 percent and recruitment and retention from 89 to 100 percent, according to the release. 

Other categories where Tech saw improvement include sexual orientation increasing from 75 to 91 percent and gender identity/expression increasing from 69 to 86 percent, according to the release.