Jerry Hodge, businessman and former mayor of Amarillo, gave the Texas Tech School of Veterinary Medicine a $10 million donation.

According to a Tech news release, the money will cover construction and development of the school.

“Margaret and I are thankful to be able to partner with Texas Tech University on such an important initiative for Amarillo, the Panhandle, West Texas and all of Texas,” Hodge said, according to the release. “A School of Veterinary Medicine is desperately needed to meet the increasing demand for veterinarians serving small and agricultural communities of Texas. Now is the time; Texas Tech is the university; and Amarillo is the place to address this issue.”

The school will host 60 students a year to fill out 240 students in the four-year program, according to the release, plus 150 to 200 graduate students and an academic staff of 90.

“Jerry and Margaret’s vision for their community has made significant impacts on the vibrancy of the Panhandle, as well as the growth of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center’s presence in Amarillo,” Dr. Tedd Mitchell, chancellor of the Tech University System and president of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, said, according to the release. “Their support of and belief in our mission for the School of Veterinary Medicine is an indicator that we are on track to establish a program with the best interests of this region at its core.”