Throughout the years, Texas Tech has received recognition for a variety of achievements. In addition to these successes, the university's dedication to first-generation students was also recognized.

The Center for First-Generation Student Success, according to a Tech news release, designated Tech as a First Forward Institution. This recognition is given to honor an institution’s dedication to helping first generation students.

The Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education and the Suder Foundation promotes this designation for universities. Tech, along with 80 other institutions who received the designation, have access to the center’s research.

At Tech, the Tech Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and opportunities, such as “Conversations with the Next Generation” and the “I’m First-Gen Summit,” are resources offered for first-generation students, according to the release

Carol A. Sumner, vice president of the DDEI said, according to the release, she is proud of Tech for receiving the designation.

"While we are certainly proud of the many accolades and recognitions bestowed upon Texas Tech University,” Sumner said, according to the release. “This is an accomplishment that allows us to look forward with great excitement about what will be possible as a member of the First Forward inaugural cohort."