With help from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Texas Tech’s Seiichi Nagihara, has permission to build an instrument that measures how much heat is coming out of the moon’s interior.

NASA announced Monday, July 1 that Seiichi, associate professor in the Tech Geology and Geophysics department, can build his Lunar Instrumentation for Subsurface Thermal Exploration with Rapidity (LISTER), according to a Tech news release.

Nagihara has been studying heat flow probes since 2008, according to the news release. He received a grant from NASA in 2017 to use the heat probe on Saturn’s moon, Europa.

Last year, Nagihara solved a decades-old question of lunar warming that resulted in the first manned moon landing, according to the news release.

The LISTER acronym pays homage to Clive Lister, a professor at the University of Washington, according to the news release. Lister made an important contribution to the study of heat flow through ocean floors on Earth from the 1970s to the 1990s.

Some institutes Nagihara will be working with while he’s developing the LISTER include the Planetary Science Institute in Arizona, the German Space Agency and the Honeybee Robotics in Pasadena, California, according to the release.

NASA will decide when the LISTER will land, according to the release. Nagihara and his team will work with the company to put the device in a chosen spacecraft.