After consistently monitoring the state of the COVID-19 pandemic and reviewing what safety precautions need to be implemented, the Texas Tech study abroad program is slated to resume in 2021

The Study Abroad Fair, managed by the Office of International Affairs, is still scheduled for Sept. 15, according to a memorandum from Sukant Misra, Tech vice provost for International Affairs.

“We continue to monitor the global pandemic and will keep the campus community informed of any future programming changes, should they be necessary,” according to the memorandum.

Following the rise of COVID-19 cases across the world, Tech was forced bring home over 100 students who were studying abroad, and the spring break, summer and fall programs of 2020 were canceled, according to the memorandum.

Plans to get study abroad opportunities out to students are already under way, according to the memorandum. The faculty of the Office of International Affairs hopes students will use the 2020 fall semester as a research and preparation period for any upcoming 2021 programs.