Editor note: All information is current as of 7 p.m. on Sept. 8. For more updates, follow us on our social media and visit our website, dailytoreador.com.

On Wednesday, Sept. 8, faculty and instructors received an email memo from Provost Ronald Hendrick providing updated classroom guidelines in response to the increase of COVID-19 cases both in the city and on campus.

According to the email, Texas Tech has offered more COVID-19 mitigation strategies such as new COVID-19 signage, increasing mask availability in classrooms and updating guidelines for instructors to follow.

However, to provide greater flexibility the university’s response to COVID-19, instructors can request temporary online modality change for their classes, according to the letter.

“Requests for temporary, two-week modality changes that end no later than October 7, 2021, can be submitted by instructors of record to department chairs via email for recommendation to their college Deans, who will, in turn, notify my office of any changes,” according to the memo.

The university also will be offering outdoor classrooms and study areas that were already established the fall semester of 2020 due to COVID-19, according to the letter. Instructors can request the use of these spaces by filling out a Grounds Use Request Form. 

Returning students may remember seeing a big white tent placed in the green space in the Engineering Key which, according to the letter, will be brought back by Sept. 20, if not sooner.

This letter from the Office of the Provost comes is one of the latest in COVID-19 guidelines updates that have implemented this week. The J.T. & Margaret Talkington College of Visual and Performing Arts sent out a letter to students, faculty and staff within the college on Sept. 7 requiring testing for individuals participating in groups or programs within the college. 

In a statement provided by the university, Tech said that VPA’s testing requirement has come due to the risk of COVID-19 transmission due to the nature of the activities taking place. This is not a reaction to an increase in COVID-19 cases.

“Beginning the week of Sept. 13, individuals participating in select performance-based activities within the J.T. & Margaret Talkington College of Visual & Performing Arts will be required to undergo regular COVID-19 testing subject to certain exemptions,” according to the statement. 

“Texas Tech University takes the health and safety of its students, faculty, staff, and those around them very seriously, and this measure is designed to help sustain the return to live performances this fall.”

Students who do not wish to comply with the weekly COVID-19 testing will not be able to participate in any of the groups or programs below:

Concert Band

Symphonic Band

Marching Band

Symphonic Wind Ensemble

Lubbock Chorale

Matador Singers

Scarlet Vocé

University Choir

University Singers

Jazz Ensembles

Trombone Choir

Trumpet Ensembles

Percussion Ensembles

Tuba/Euphonium Ensemble

Collegium Musicum

Mariachi Ensemble

Steel Drum Band

Tango Ensemble

Celtic Ensemble

Clarinet Choir

New/Contemporary Music Ensemble

Opera Theatre

Orchestra

Fall Dance Festival

DanceTech

In a Word

Bike America

Spring Awakening

The Whitacre College of Engineering did send out an email limiting in-person limitation for meeting and student organization meetings for the college on Sept. 8; however, the college rescinded the limitation later in the day. A reason why the college decided not to implement the limitation was not given.

Visit our website, dailytoreador.com, for more information and updates about COVID-19 guidelines around campus.