Board Of Regents Meeting

Dr. Tedd L. Mitchell, was appointed as the new Chancellor at Texas Tech University at 4 p.m, on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018, in the Texas Tech University System Administration Building. The Board voted unanimously to appoint Mitchell as the new Chancellor

The presence of new regents, tenure approvals and construction projects were topics discussed during a Texas Tech System Board of Regents meeting today.

As the 2019 spring semester comes to a close, the BOR conducted a meeting at 1 p.m. on May 16 at 1508 Knoxville Ave. in the Tech System Administration Building.

Three new regents, who Texas Gov. Greg Abbott appointed on March 6, 2019 were sworn in before any meeting items were considered.

The incoming regents, whose appointments end on Jan. 31, 2025, according to the Tech System website, include Ginger Kerrick, Mark Griffin and Dusty Womble.

After being sworn in, the three new regents all shared their excitement for their position on the Board.

“It’s an honor for me to be here,” Griffin said. “The life changing impact that this institution has on a daily basis is profound.”

Along with Griffin, Kerrick said she is also excited for the opportunity to be on the Board.

“I am very excited and honored and really ready to get to work,” she said.

After approving the minutes of the Carr Scholarship Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on Aug. 9, 2018, the Board elected Griffin as chairman and Womble as vice chairman of the CSF Board of Trustees.

In addition to these CSF items and the approval of the BOR Feb. 21, 2019 meeting minutes for the audit committee, finance and administration committee, facilities committee and academic clinical and student affairs committee, campus construction was another topic that was highlighted.

Billy Breedlove, Tech System Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning and Construction, presented multiple projects taking place on campuses within the Tech System.

The Lubbock Municipal Coliseum, which is located at 2720 Drive of Champions, is a demolition project Breedlove said should be completed in the middle of June. He said the area, which will consist of a lot of dirt after completion, will be turned over to Tech around the end of July.

“I’ve been asked many times ‘What are the holes that are punched in the roof?’ Those are skylights,” Breedlove said. “There is no electricity in the building, they need to be working inside, so they have created their own skylights.”

Regarding the progress of the coliseum demolition, Breedlove said the project is going well.

Completing the demolition and abatement of the Weeks Hall renovation project, the Experimental Sciences Building II being completed in June and the HSC University Center ribbon cutting ceremony being set at 1:30 p.m. on May 24 at the HSC campus were other items Breedlove presented during the meeting.

The Board also approved expenditures for the addition of the Life Learning Center at the National Ranching Heritage Center and phase two of the Tech Theatre and Dance Complex, which will include renovating and adding to the Charles E. Maedgen, Jr. Theatre.

Before convening into executive session, the Board also carried the approval of tenure appointments.

The Board passed the motion to approve tenure to Steve Holmes, associate professor in the Tech Department of English, Dale Woerner, associate professor in the Department of Food and Animal Sciences, and Lisaann Gittner, who is working as a tenured associate professor in the Tech Department of Political Science and will transfer to the HSC in August.