National Wind Institute conducts energy research

Wind turbines aid in the research conducted by the National Wind Institute at Tech. The National Wind Institute is one of the primary places on campus researching alternative energy sources.

Professors with the Texas Tech National Wind Institute partnered with professors from Florida International University to develop the Wind Hazard and Infrastructure Center.

According to the Tech news release, WHIP will help combine research with industry applications to find the effects wind damage has on insurance companies.

The center is funded through a $1.5 million grant from the National Science Foundation, according to the news release. The five-year grant is equally distributed between Tech and FIU and will help support administrative costs for the center.

To fund research projects, according to the news release, Tech gained memberships from State Farm Insurance, Risk Management Solutions, Berkshire Hathaway, AIR Worldwide and a company from Paris, France, known as SCOR.

Although it will take time for the WHIP Center’s work to make an impact, according to the news release, the outcomes will be worthwhile.