Greek Trick or Treat

Greek organizations handed out candy to the Lubbock community on Greek Circle. On Wednesday, October 31, 2018, on Greek Circle.

Texas Tech Greek organizations invited families from Lubbock and the surrounding area to a trick-or-treat event from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Greek Circle Wednesday evening.

Greek-or-Treat, once disbanded, has now made a comeback.

Greek-or-Treat was put on by many Greek organizations such as the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, multicultural fraternities and sororities and many service organizations. The event had more than 40 stops for children and families from the Lubbock area to trick-or-treat.

“I definitely think it’s good for the Greek organization to do something for the community,” Tiffany Urrutia, a mother at the event, said. “Then we aren’t hearing about just hazing and bad stereotypes of the fraternity and sorority life going on.”

Many non-Greek affiliated students came out to Greek-or-Treat to get free candy as well as show support for the Greek community on the Tech campus.

“I’m really happy they brought Greek-or-Treat back. I love kids and I love seeing all of their costumes,” Sarah Ennis, a junior elementary education major, said. “I think it’s a great way to put a good spotlight on all of the Greek organizations here at Texas Tech.”

Not everyone participating in the event was extremely excited to be there. Zach Hines, a freshman political science major and a member going through pledgeship for Tau Kappa Epsilon, said members of the fraternity asked him to participate.

“Even though I genuinely thought about coming to participate in handing out candy and interacting with the community, I had to be here because I’m a pledge,” Hines said.

Although Hines may not have had a choice on whether or not he participated, he said he was glad they brought the event back because he loves to make jokes with the kids. One specific example given was seeing a little boy dressed as the DC Comic character, Flash, running up to his table. 

“Telling the kid he ran so fast, and seeing the kid light up with excitement brought back feelings of nostalgia,” Hines said.

A big part of Greek-or-Treat is the encouragement of the children and their families, Ennis said.

“I see the look on the children’s faces when we say we love their costume,” Ennis said. “Being an education major, I know that children do better with positive encouragement and events like these really reinforce my major choice.”

Greek life is something parents almost steer their children away from now due to all of the negative stereotypes. However, Urrutia said she views events like this as a positive reinforcement and “something for my kids to look forward to”.