Lubbock’s City Council approved the first reading of the ordinance to allow the operation of mobile food vendors in the streets of Lubbock on Thursday.

The vote on the ordinance went unopposed, and the final reading will be in the next two weeks at the next city council meeting.

Councilman Victor Hernandez and Councilman Jeff Griffith received praise from other councilmembers for pushing the ordinance forward.

“I want to thank councilmen Hernandez and Griffith for bringing this up and doing all the legwork on it,”Councilwoman Karen Gibson said. “I am really excited about this and I am anxious to see what these food trucks do."

Hernandez, who said he was a strong supporter of the food truck movement, also received recognition for working with vendors and the Lubbock Restaurant Association to study ordinances in other cities.

Food truck vendors were also in attendance, including Chad Montgomery, owner of the Twist’d Texan, and Eric Jewell, owner of Chilly Lily’s Sno Cones.

“I believe that it will bring something to Lubbock that it needs, Montgomery, a member of the Free the Food Truck movement, said. “It will help to revitalize downtown and bring new innovations to the city of Lubbock.”

In order to be able to operate a food truck, the ordinance requires mobile vendors to complete and submit a $250 application for a Mobile Food Vending Permit and also complete all the required inspections through the Fire Marshal’s Office and the Environmental Health Department, according to the ordinance’s text. The permits would be valid for one year.

“When you’re a vendor you just want go where the people are,” Jewell said. “I want to have the opportunity to provide services, in my case selling sno cones.”

In terms of location, which was a problem in the past for vendors, they would not be allowed to operate in residential areas or within 200 feet of the primary entrance of a brick-and-mortar food establishment, according to the ordinance.

The venders will be allowed to operate between the 6 a.m. and 3 a.m. and cannot be at a location for longer than four hours.

The new revitalization of food trucks in the Hub City has even been brought to Texas Tech, who unveiled a new food truck on campus called StrEat, making it the first food truck on in campus in the Big 12.

Lubbock Mayor Glen Roberston, said he was very optimistic about the future of food trucks and could not see any possible opposition of the ordinance.