Belnap, Jeffrey.jpg

Jeffrey Belnap, dean of the Texas Tech Costa Rica campus. 

Texas Tech seems to be on a roll, as the university announced the dean for its campus in Costa Rica today.

The university appointed Jeffrey Belnap, provost and senior vice president of the American University of Afghanistan, Kabul, as the dean of Tech's Costa Rica campus, according to a Tech news release.

Belnap received a master's degree in comparative literature from Brigham Young University and a doctorate in comparative literature and critical theory from the University of California-Irvine, according to the news release. 

Before coming to the American University of Afghanistan, Belnap held other positions, according to the news release.

During his time at Brigham Young University's Hawaii campus from 1993 to 2002, he served as an assistant professor, associate dean of the Division of Fine Arts and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, according to the news release. He also held positions as chief academic officer, associate provost of academic affairs and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi and Dubai from 2002 to 2013. 

From 2013 to 2017, Belnap served as the dean of the Global College in Brooklyn in New York's Long Island University and served as acting dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the university's Post campus in Brookville from 2016 to 2017, according to the news release. He later worked at the America University of Afghanistan in 2017.

In August 2016, Tech President Lawrence Schovanec announced the Costa Rica campus establishment, which consisted of two years of planning and a partnership with EDULINK, according to the news release. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges approved the campus, which broke ground in San Jose, in November 2017.

"From a strong pool of candidates, Dr. Belnap emerged as the top choice because of his extensive background and prior experience in international education," Schovanec said, according to the news release.

In addition to the positions he has held, Belnap has been featured in a variety of publications and has presented topics, such as global learning and internationalization, according to the news release.

"Because I have spent a good deal of my career working in building international American or American-style universities overseas, the Texas Tech University-Costa Rica enterprise struck me from the start as being aligned with my background," Belnap said, according to the news release. "My family's connection to the region and my own research and teaching interests tied to Latin America also immediately attracted me to the TTU-CR position."