Climate Change Panel

Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist, professor, Time's 100 most influential people and Fortune's 50 world's greatest leaders speaks at the Texas Tech Presidential Lecture and Performance Series climate change panel in the Allen Theatre at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 12, 2018.

In addition to her multiple titles at Texas Tech, Katharine Hayhoe will also serve as an adviser for the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.

The Smithsonian Institute’s Board of Regents named Hayhoe, professor in the Tech Department of Political Science and co-director of the Tech Climate Center, to the advisory board of the museum located in Washington D.C., according to a Tech news release. She is one of three of the Board’s new members.

Regarding her connection to the museum, Hayhoe said she has worked as a scientific adviser for a new exhibit that opened in the museum’s fossil hall a couple of weeks ago. She said the Smithsonian closed the fossil hall five years ago and have been renovating the hall during that time.

“When they reopened it, they wanted to make sure it included an exhibit on our current geologic era, which is the Anthropocene,” she said. “I was serving as a scientific adviser for the development, specifically of that exhibit.”

In the exhibit, Hayhoe said there is a video about soil carbon, which was shot in Lubbock, featuring her and Natasja van Gestel, assistant professor in the Tech Department of Biological Sciences.

“Texas Tech plays a really important role in both helping to development the exhibit as well as being featured in this movie that’s in the fossil hall,” she said. “After serving on this committee, when they invited me to serve on the advisory board for the whole museum, I was honored to accept because I feel like what they’re doing is really important.”

In addition to being a member on the Board, which meets twice a year, Hayhoe said she is also on the science committee, which meets quarterly. As a climate scientist working in the fossil hall, she said she wants people to understand that humans have an impact on climate change.

Hayhoe, whose research consists of studying the effect of climate change on humans and the environment, is known to be a leading expert on climate science, according to the news release. She also educates people through an online series called “Global Weirding,” a KTTZ Public Broadcasting Service Digital Short Series.

In 2016, Hayhoe was recognized in the Politico 50 list and in Fortune Magazine’s 50 World’s Greatest Leaders in 2017, according to the news release. In 2017 and 2018, she participated in a Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) talk on climate solutions and was a leading author of the first and second volumes of the Fourth U.S. National Climate Assessment.

Hayhoe was also listed in Apolitical’s World’s 100 Most Influential People in Climate Policy and Foreign Policy Magazine’s list of Global Thinkers this year, according to the news release.