The Texas Tech College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources had 14 undergraduate students graduate from the program’s Matador Institute of Leadership Engagement on Thursday.

The ceremony, according to a Tech news release, was hosted on May 2 at the Tech International Cultural Center.

MILE is a three-semester leadership certificate program where students develop personal and professional skills through policy and agricultural experiences, according to the news release. The program included three academic courses that focused on the personal, service and community features of leadership.

Industries in the agriculture field provide proactive training for students throughout the program, which forms the understanding of issues that affect the industry at the local, state and national level, according to the news release.

Students had the opportunity to travel to Washington D.C. and meet with United States Department of Agriculture agencies and officials, according to the news release. MILE students also were a part of the 250 person commission from the Tech System.

Students met in Austin to promote key concerns, according to the news release, which included the establishment of the Tech School of Veterinary Medicine.