Appointments for the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents chairman and vice chairman positions were announced during a special-called meeting.

The Board appointed Christopher Huckabee as the new chairman and Regent J. Michael Lewis as vice chairman during a teleconference meeting Thursday, March 21, in the Regents Conference Room of the Tech System Administration Building.

During the teleconference, which was moderated by Ben Lock, assistant to the Chancellor and Secretary of the BOR, Regent John Esparza presented the appointments based on reports of the nominations committee.

“The nominations committee composed of Mickey Long, Michael Lewis and myself was charged with presenting to the Board a slate of recommended candidates for Board chair and vice chair,” Esparza said. “The recommendations committee is that Chris Huckabee be elected as chair (of the) board and that Michael Lewis be elected as vice chair.”

Along with the appointments, Huckabee and Lewis presented their gratitude for being appointed as chair and vice chair, respectively.

“I’m humbled,” Huckabee said, “and I will do my very best to lead this group with all my effort.”

In addition to giving thanks, Huckabee also said he is excited to work with Lewis.

“I know we’re going to work exceptionally well together,” Huckabee said.

Along with Huckabee’s comments, Lewis also expressed his thanks to the Board.

“I am very pleased and glad to serve,” Lewis said. “I think we have a great university and a very fine Board of Regents that will carry us forward, so I have nothing but great things to say.”

Along with the appointments, former regents presented their thoughts on the newly-filled positions, the past and future of the board.

Former Chairman Tim Lancaster said he was grateful to have served on the Board of Regents.

“It’s an honor for all of us to serve in these roles and grateful to have gotten the chance to do it,” Lancaster said.

During the meeting, other members of the board were acknowledged.

Newly appointed regents, Ginger Kerrick, Mark Griffin and Dusty Womble, were recognized during the meeting.

“There’s a lot of work left to do, and we need to put our heads down and do that,” Huckabee said. “I’d like to say thank you to the governor for naming three great regents that are going to add to us immediately and excel us down the road.”