With changes in the West Texas economy, the Texas Tech Rawls College of Business is not only educating students, but also creating bankers to make an impact in the area.

Due to economic growth, there is a demand for bankers in West Texas, according to a Tech news release. The Excellence in Banking Program in the Rawls College is a new method the university is using to teach students about banking practices and increase the number of bankers in the area.

In addition to offering finance, accounting and other courses that relate to banking, according to the news release, the program will also give leaders in the banking industry the opportunity to advise students.

The curriculum will consist of mentoring and internship opportunities, conferences and chances to interact with alumni and other students, according to the Tech release. The program is set to prepare future bankers and executives at community and rural banks.

The Rawls College, according to the news release, established an endowment level of $10,000,000 to support different aspects of the Excellence in Banking Program, such as a program director for the program, faculty and scholarships.