Grammy-winning folk singer performs at Tech - The Daily Toreador: News

Grammy-winning folk singer performs at Tech

Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:03 pm

The sound of folk music reverberated through the Student Union Allen Theatre on Friday night as folk singer and songwriter Judy Collins performed some of her classics.

Caitlin McCumber, a volunteer at the concert and a junior international economics major from Austin, said the event brought in a large crowd.

“There was a lot more people here than we anticipated there being,” she said. “It was a sold-out concert and everyone that was here was pretty excited about the event.”

McCumber was in charge of selling Collins’ merchandise at the concert and said all the participants were excited to buy Collins’ memoir and classics album.

“We’ve sold pretty much all of the ‘Best of Judy Collins’ CDs,” she said. “We’re almost out of those. We’ve sold a lot more than we anticipated.”

McCumber said the demographics of people in attendance were mostly elderly people.

“It was a lot of older people like 40 plus,” she said. “We saw like three people that were in their twenties.”

This is not surprising, McCumber said, considering Collins’ career spans several decades, beginning in the 1960s.

According to a news release, Collins received a Grammy Award in 1968 for Best Folk Performance, as well as multiple recognitions for her singing and songwriting throughout the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Collins has not only become famous for her songwriting skills, but also for her other abilities. In 1974, she co-directed a documentary about Antonia Brico and more recently in 2011 she published her memoir, “Sweet Judy Blue Eyes.”

Jonathan Ensor, a Lubbock resident, and his wife also were at Collins’ event.

Ensor said he believed the event was not only for the older crowd, but that people of all ages should have come out to enjoy Collins’ music.

“I think the young folks are missing out,” he said. “It’s something absolutely fantastic and very rich.”

Ensor said Collins is a legend and has played with many other legends such as Bob Dylan.

He said he had a great time at the event and was amazed with the energy Collins brought to the Allen Theatre.

“We had a blast,” he said. “I was completely filled with the amazing talent that she brought to Lubbock.”

Ensor said he believed the visual and performing arts department at Texas Tech should bring more events like the concert to Tech.

“I think what they’re doing is absolutely fantastic,” he said. “I’m at a complete loss for words at this point.”

The press was not allowed to enter the event for photos or interviews as a Collins’ representative said the event was to be as secure as possible.

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide