League hosts registration drive for voters - The Daily Toreador: News

League hosts registration drive for voters

Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:23 pm

The League of Women Voters of Lubbock County organized a voter registration drive from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday inside the Student Union Building to encourage Texas Tech students to become better educated about the registration process.

The LWV, according to a handout from the event, was founded in 1920 with a purpose to help women’s suffrage but has since evolved into an organization helping people find access to voting information from an unbiased and nonpartisan group.

Vivian Burke, vice president of voter services, said the event was hosted to celebrate National Voter Registration Day.

“I don’t think people realize just how easy it is to register,” Burke said.

This, she said, is one of the main reasons the younger generation seems to be lacking in the demographics of voters.

Along with recognizing National Voter Registration Day, Burke said organizations across the country are getting people to register at various locations.

The interest from Tech students was surprisingly good, she said.

“People are trying to find out, ‘If I’m registered in another county can I register here or vote here?’” Burke said.

One of the controversial issues the students brought up, she said, was bringing an ID when it comes time to vote.

Burke said she preferred not to give her own opinion on the new rule, which according to a handout by LWV, requires one of seven different IDs to be able to vote in a Texas election.

“As a matter of fact, that’s one of the things we stay away from because we are a nonpartisan group,” she said.

Those who have missed the registration day, Burke said, can go to the elections office in Lubbock and go to www.votelubbock.org for more information on voting regulations and processes.

Although many of the students stopped to register when asked by women at the booth, Jesus Davalos, a junior biology major from Riverside, Calif., decided not to register for personal reasons.

“I’m just positive I won’t vote,” he said. “I’ve lost faith in elections.”

Davalos said he does not believe the election process is fair and thinks there are many corrupt politicians to choose from.

“What did it for a lot of people as well as myself,” he said, “was the incident with Florida when Bush was running for president.”

Davalos said he didn’t clearly understand how the election factors in popular votes versus Electoral College votes and believes the system is unfair.

He said getting access to register to vote was not a factor in him deciding whether he was going to sign up.

“They’ve actually made voting rather easy as far as accessibility,” he said. “I have all the proper documentation to vote.”

Davalos said he believes students should try to find other ways to make changes in society besides voting.

At the end of the voting registration, however, the LWV registered 20 people to vote for upcoming elections.

Burke said she wants to see an underrepresented younger generation take a more active role in the political process.

DT Raiders' Choice 2015
ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts