Edward E. Whitacre Jr. College of Engineering hosted its biannual spring job fair from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Lubbock Civic Center.

The fair, for students, featured 140 employers and included 25 new vendors who were interested in offering internships, co-ops, and full-time positions, Elizabeth Capps, career services coordinator said.

To enter the fair, students were required to dress in business professional attire and check in to get a name tag.

Capps said event coordinators expected to register between 1,500 and 1,700 students and offered them good luck and words of encouragement about not forgetting to smile during interviews as students entered the hall of vendors.

Before the fair, she said, students had the opportunity to prepare by receiving training for interviews, as well as other resources such as resume critiques.

“Our students do a great job of coming prepared, coming dressed, and we ask that they bring their resumes,” Capps said.

If students do prepare themselves with the tools available at the College of Engineering, the chances of them being successful at the job fair are high.

The placement rate is 85 percent and job placement for engineers is 92 percent, Capps said.

Both large and small businesses are looking to hire Texas Tech students, said Phineas Holmes, Tech alumnus and business development manager for Baker Hughes Inc.

“We are constantly looking for well-qualified people,” Holmes said.

The need for engineers in the workforce is great. Holmes said Baker Hughes Inc., an oil and gas reservoir consulting company, expected to hire several Tech students and are looking to fill almost 500 full-time positions and approximately 150 internships.

“We are here to find out what people can do for us,” Jake Honekamp, Tech alumnus and Baker Hughes Inc. employee, said.

Novella Landau, a junior mechanical engineering major from Houston, said she enjoyed the job fair.

”I love talking to companies,” Landau said. “There is nothing better. It’s all smiles walking up and down, just being able to talk to them. I have experience in oil and gas, so it helps.”

Landau said she interviewed with American Bureau of Shipping last semester at a Tech engineering job fair in Houston, but attended the spring job fair to continue networking with companies.

For students like Jackie Gregory, a freshman mechanical engineering major from Granbury, the job fair was a new experience.

“(I came here) to learn what all convinces companies to hire, and to get a job from who is hiring,” Gregory said.

He said he learned about job opportunities with organizations like the U.S. Navy, which hires engineers to work on nuclear submarines.

Along with learning about employers, students who attended the event were offered free lunch and a free shuttle service to and from the Civic Center.