Vanstory family without answers - The Daily Toreador: News

Vanstory family without answers

Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 11:22 pm | Updated: 4:23 pm, Wed Oct 12, 2011.

Two vehicles, one of which belonged to Mason Vanstory, were listed as being at the scene when the Texas Tech student died Sunday morning, according to a Lubbock Police Department offense report.

Sgt. Jonathan Stewart of the Lubbock Police Department said he was unable to comment or speculate as to why there would be two vehicles listed on the offense report.

Lubbock Police Officer Angelo Blanco said both vehicles were listed on the offense report to help with any further investigations.

“I’m not saying it’s a homicide,” Blanco said. “It could have been a homicide. It could have been a suicide. Nobody is a suspect at this point.”

Stewart said Vanstory fell from the west side of the Raider Park parking garage. He said while there are detectives investigating the Vanstory case, their names cannot be released.

According to a police news release, a passerby found Vanstory’s body at 5:23 a.m. Sunday outside of Raider Park, which is located at 2522 Marsha Sharp Freeway.

“Passerby found the deceased person at the bottom of the parking structure and called police,” the statement said. “The cause of death and the other circumstances surrounding the incident are currently under investigation.”

Vanstory was a sophomore from Dallas in the College of Mass Communications and was an active member of his fraternity, Delta Tau Delta. His father and stepmother were in Lubbock for Tech’s Family Weekend.

Charles Vanstory and Colleen Vanstory had plans to leave Lubbock on Sunday morning. However, at around 10:30 a.m., Charles Vanstory said he received a phone call from Chancellor Kent Hance.

“We told Mason to sleep in and that once we were on the highway we would call him around noon and tell him goodbye,” Charles Vanstory said. “We were on University Avenue to get a cup of coffee and that is when Chancellor Hance called.”

Charles Vanstory said he last spoke to his son around 11 p.m. Saturday night and was shocked to hear of his son’s death the next day.He said his son was a wonderful, sensitive and caring person.

“He is my baby boy,” Charles Vanstory said, “a sweetheart in every way.”

Colleen Vanstory said she has been Mason’s stepmother for three years.

“I’ve seen him grow from an adolescent to this fine young man,” she said. “He had a real heart of gold and always had good things to say about people.”

With the investigation still pending, the Vanstorys said they do not have any concrete answers.

“There are a lot of open-ended questions without answers,” Colleen Vanstory said. “Until we have conclusive evidence and the medical examiner is done with his work, we won’t know if it was an accident or a scuffle. The only thing they can say is that they are still investigating.”

Chase Bray, external vice president of the Tech chapter of Delta Tau Delta, said Vanstory was a resident of the 25Twenty apartment complex next to Raider Park. He said he does not believe anyone was with Vanstory at the time of his death.

“I was just in shock,” he said. “I didn’t know anything was wrong with him. I’m a little bit older than him, so I wasn’t as close to him as maybe some of his pledge brothers, but he was just one of those guys you wanted to be friends with.”

Sean Crenshaw, president of Delta Tau Delta, said the fraternity’s main focus right now is to support the Vanstory family.

Crenshaw would not confirm whether Vanstory had been drinking prior to his death.

“We aren’t allowed to say anything regarding that,” he said, “because it is still an ongoing investigation with the authorities.”

Officials with the Lubbock County Medical Examiner’s Office said an official autopsy report has not yet been completed.

Crenshaw said the Delta Tau Delta fraternity plans to hold a memorial service Thursday, but they are unsure of the exact time or location at the moment.

Noble Madu, a friend of Mason Vanstory, said he is currently speaking with Dean Jerry Hudson of the College of Mass Communications to schedule a candlelight vigil Friday night.

Funeral services for Vanstory will be in Dallas at noon on Saturday at the Sparkman/Hillcrest Funeral Home at 7405 Northwest Highway, Dallas, TX 75225.

In lieu of flowers, Colleen Vanstory said people can send memorial contributions to the Mason Vanstory Scholarship Fund, Texas Tech Foundation, Box 41081, Lubbock, TX 79409.

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts

Loading…