SGA candidates begin spring campaigning - The Daily Toreador: News

SGA candidates begin spring campaigning

Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 12:08 am

Candidates running for positions in Texas Tech Student Government Association have begun campaigning for the spring general elections.

Campaigning began Tuesday and will continue until the election days, Feb. 27 and 28.

Reed Young, a senior agricultural and applied economics major from Abilene, is the current external vice president for SGA. Young said all seats in the executive and legislative branches will be up for election on the upcoming ballot.

Positions in the executive branch include the president, external and internal vice presidents and the graduate vice president, he said.

In the legislative branch, Young said seats for graduate and at-large senators, as well as senators from each college on campus, will be up for election.

The number of senators each college will receive is determined by the total amount of students each has, he said.

“I think there is close to 60 (senators),” Young said. “We have a formula that divides it up by the population of that college and then you get representatives based on how many that is. So then you have all of you colleges, the graduate school, and then you have your senators at-large, which represent everyone.”

While campaigning, Young said candidates will ‘bloc’ together. What that means, he said, is that a team of people running for an executive position will campaign alongside a group of candidates for a senator position.

“They are all on the same side, and they work on promotions for both groups,” he said. “Your executives are in the spotlight, but your executives also spotlight your senators and vice versa.  It’s a symbiotic relationship between who is spotlighting who. It’s just a strategy.”

The ‘bloc’ that each candidate associates with does not show up on the ballot, but they help each other during campaigns and visit organizations together, he said.

The two major ‘blocs’ are Raiders United and Bridge the Gap.

According to its Facebook pages, Raiders United is made up of executive candidates Jill Berger, Luke Cotton and Logan Dickenson.

Peyton Craig, Forrest Stovall, Taylor Weeks and Daniel Yates lead Bridge the Gap.

Taylor Weeks, a junior political science and economics major from Houston, and Forrest Stovall, a senior technical communication major from San Antonio, are campaigning for president and internal vice president, respectively.

In the beginning, Stovall said much of the campaign was geared  toward social media.

“At first, a lot of it was social media and online stuff,” he said. ”So we made sure we got our Facebook page up and our Twitter account. We went ahead and made a website that has all of our platforms and brief bios about us. That was the main thing.”

Since then, Stovall said the candidates have been meeting with organizations, including Greek houses, have printed brochures to give out to students and made signs to display in the Free Speech Area next week.

Weeks said a big part of the elections is getting their names out to the students and meeting as many people as they can.

“I think the teams we’re running against have good ideas and we agree with a lot of them, and we have our own, I think, fabulous ideas,” he said. “It comes down to the students. Everyone wants to do what is best for the students and what’s best for student government.”

The executive office candidates will host an executive forum, or debate, at 5 p.m. Feb. 25 in the Escondido Theatre.

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts