Women’s leadership symposium to highlight female advancement - The Daily Toreador: News

Women’s leadership symposium to highlight female advancement

Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 9:25 pm

The Merket Alumni Center will open its doors to Texas Tech and the Lubbock community for the first Lubbock Women in Leadership Symposium, “Women in Leadership: Rising Above the Ordinary,” on Sept. 28 from 8:30 a.m. to noon.

The Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement is hosting the event in partnership with the Texas Diversity Council, a non-profit organization that aims to showcase diversity in top corporations. 

According to the Texas Diversity Council website, the symposium will address topics such as speaking up, being one’s best advocate, establishing credibility, strategies for financial success, breaking through middle-management, mentoring and taking the next step. 

“Trying to get TXDC, a statewide counsel, in West Texas has been a two-year conversation,” said Jobi Martinez, director of the Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center. “It’s beneficial for all (of) Tech to attend (because) it will highlight important women leaders in West Texas.”

The event will be free for all Tech students and, as of now, the symposium will consist of three panelists: Irasema Velasquez of the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce; Kelly Overley, vice chancellor for institutional advancement and chief operating officer of the Texas Tech Foundation; and Adrienne Cozart, the vice president of human resources for the University Medical Center.

The panelists will share the individual experiences that led them to their current leadership positions, Martinez said, as well as provide useful tips to empower women in achieving leadership positions within their fields.

“The symposium is not just for women,” Martha Mouret-Sanders, unit coordinator of special events for the CCAAC, said. “I would encourage everyone, women and men, to attend because it is important to understand all perspectives in leadership.”

Frances Martin, a junior history major from Bulverde, said she finds the symposium a great opportunity.

“I think it’s a really neat way to showcase women,” she said. “There is a negative bias when using the word ‘feminist,’ but having an event like this shows women empowerment.”

1 comment:

• marvinvinn posted at 4:11 pm on Sat, Jan 11, 2014.

marvinvinn Posts: 51

This year I will take part in this event too. I am going to wear a beautiful dress with a few pieces of jewelry which I bought recently from http://www.maevona.com/. I am sure the event will be wonderful, therefore I can not wait it.

Raiders' Choice Awards 2015
ULofts Apartments
DT's 2015 Spring Housing Guide
Corporate Promotional Gifts

Loading…